Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RTIC Mug Lasering

Yes I'm finding that with red as well, I thought I had the cleaning solvent figured out with the Turtle wax label remover but found out later that when washed with a mild detergent after use it turned the cup baby blue.
    Thanks for your input,
    Frustrated!

I can usually run powder coated cups in one pass but not the RTIC green. The paint is so thick it's going to take two or three passes.

I have not run into that with Yeti's.

I do believe you can run your laser too hot on powder coated stuff.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Thanks Mike, I am starting to dial it in and have found acetone does clean the residue off. Has anyone raised the flag with RTIC as to not put as much Mil thickness on and they would even save money in less powder!

We use RTIC on a regular basis. Running a 50 Watt universal laser, we run the settings at 86 power/ 45 speed / 600 dpi. It will leave a slight coating on the cup. Wet the cup and spray with Awesome (I have only found this at dollar stores) and wipe with a Mr. Clean magic eraser. Make sure to use the regular eraser and not the heavy duty. This has worked with both the old design RTIC and the new ones. The coating is thicker, but it still works the same.

Karissa, does your settings work for all the RTIC colors, some seem to have a thicker coating than others?

I'm doing an order of RTIC green cups right now and the paint thickness varies by 4 to 5 thousandths. I am now running three passes to get them sufficiently clean to be acceptable--and that's with cleaner and magic Eraser.

In the future, I will charge a premium for RTIC colors. I just received an order for red Yetis and they didn't even remove the red residue from their lasered logo mark.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

7. Quote Originally Posted by Dan Laser View Post
    Karissa, does your settings work for all the RTIC colors, some seem to have a thicker coating than others?
    It has worked for all of the colors so far. I have done all but one or two of the new colors in tumblers as well as some of the new tall water bottles. I found the key is to have water on the tumbler and then spray the Awesome on it. Once it sits for a couple of seconds you can see the color changing. Many times it comes off on its own and the magic eraser is just a guarantee.

Thanks for the info Karissa, Ill give it a try!

So a quick update. Picked up the Dark Blue 20oz from RTIC this week. This has been the thickest batch that i have gotten. Ended up having to do multiple passes to get it off. I have been doing the dark blue 30 oz for the past couple of weeks with no problem.

I've had it with the green RTICs. I will refuse them as it takes too many passes.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Gravograph IS400
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Haven't tried the green yet, but I have had good success with the dark blue with a setting of 55% speed and 100 power on my 60 watt laser. They are cleaning off good with denatured alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Laser View Post
    Thanks Tim, is it possible that I am applying too much power and actually harding the powder to the cup thus not allowing easy cleanup. When you finally have the cup looking like you want is it stainless steel looking prior to cleaning
    or another color such as almost black on a red cup?
    I highly doubt that. Most powder coated cups will take me two passes. One - to laser away 98% of the powder. Two - to cleanup the slight color hue in the engraving. Then rinse to remove powder dust. Result is almost always shiny SS. If needed I'll use a magic eraser while rinsing. I haven't found slower/more power to have any effect one way or another. However, too little power just won't remove enough. Some mugs are fantastic after a single pass, others as many as 3 or 4 passes - I hate those.

Another thing not mentioned much is you don't always need to blast away all of the color to the bare SS. By using varying degrees of gray scale you can produce some nice effects/color shifts/tones.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

>>Another thing not mentioned much is you don't always need to blast away all of the color to the bare SS. By using varying degrees of gray scale you can produce some nice effects/color shifts/tones.<<

That is an interesting trick, Tim. Do you have any pictures of the results that you can post, please?

Thanks.
    700mm x 500mm Ke Hui KH-7050 Laser
    80W EFR F2
    S&A CW5000 chiller
    Chuck style of rotary attachment

Thanks for the info!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Fisher View Post
    >>That is an interesting trick, Tim. Do you have any pictures of the results that you can post, please?.
    This isn't a great example due to the over thickness of this powder-coating, but you get the idea. This one used 4 different gray levels.

20170527_165002ww.jpg
    Last edited by Tim Bateson; 11-28-2017 at 11:20 AM.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC