Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Woodpecker's Dowel Press Anyone?

Question Woodpecker's Dowel Press Anyone?

How many of you are planning to lay out $400 for the latest Woodpecker's One-Time Tool, a dowel press?

http://www.woodpeck.com/dowel-press.html

I'm a big fan of Woodpecker's products (my shop has a very reddish hue), but $400 is strong and I'm wondering if any other SMC members are planning to get in on this tool. It's a very clever concept and I'm sure it would last for generations. Does that justify the price tag?

not me! I own two lathes, & make any size dowel I need, & however many. $400 seems mighty pricey!
    Sawdust703

I was wondering when a thread here would start. They are going fast and strong on the other forums and Facebook.

Consensus seems to be the Lee Valley / Veritas dowel maker is a much better option

AND

$400 is a lot of money for an apple peeler.

AND

Get a lathe if youre making that many dowels.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post

Consensus seems to be the Lee Valley / Veritas dowel maker is a much better option
    I sold mine on eBay.
    I couldn't get it to work.

Lie Nielsen has a dowel plate that you hammer a piece of wood through to make dowels ($55). But if I needed a dowel that was not too long, I'd do it on my lathe.

I have the LN dowel plate and don't think I've ever used it. It's just not that often that you need to make a dowel. Mostly when you want a dowel of some specific wood and can't buy it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    Lie Nielsen has a dowel plate that you hammer a piece of wood through to make dowels ($55). But if I needed a dowel that was not too long, I'd do it on my lathe.

I have the LN dowel plate and don't think I've ever used it. It's just not that often that you need to make a dowel. Mostly when you want a dowel of some specific wood and can't buy it.

Mike
    I have one and do use it. Prior to getting it, I had drilled holes in a steel plate and used it for a making dowels. These dowels are used in joints, you can't see them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rivel View Post
    I was wondering when a thread here would start. They are going fast and strong on the other forums and Facebook.
    Can you point me to the other discussions? I've purchased so many Woodpecker's One-Time tools that I almost placed my order for this one by default. But the $400 price tag caused me to pause and evaluate whether I would get $400 worth of value from it (I know, the answer seems blindingly obvious!). I'm just wondering if there is someone somewhere that can offer ample justification for such a purchase. What has the tone of the other forums been on this topic?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Felton View Post
    Can you point me to the other discussions? I've purchased so many Woodpecker's One-Time tools that I almost placed my order for this one by default. But the $400 price tag caused me to pause and evaluate whether I would get $400 worth of value from it (I know, the answer seems blindingly obvious!). I'm just wondering if there is someone somewhere that can offer ample justification for such a purchase. What has the tone of the other forums been on this topic?
    Looks mostly like everyone thinks its a joke and big fail on Woodpeckers part in my observation.

The others are on Facebook from The Woodwhisperer Guild members which you have to be a member to see.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-13-2016 at 9:34 AM. Reason: Removed link to forum
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Thanks, Ben!

A dowel that's not rived from some nice straight grain and hammered thru a dowel plate is no good for draw bore.
    There is nothing more frustrating then having a dowel break before you get thru the other side.

Aj

It looks to me like the maximum length dowel with this would only be about a foot long. I am missing something?

I'll keep my Stanley 77 thank you!

I think it is a great product for tool collectors. I don't know of any actual woodworkers who would make much use of it. Unless I need a particular species (very rare), I just buy them.

I have quite a few Woodpecker layout tools. A lot of things dust don't do it for me. The dowel maker does not do it for me. I can buy a lot of dowels for $400. I have lathe that I can make them of and a router table/shaper that I could use a roundover bit to make one also. To be fair to Woodpecker, the Lee Valley one mentioned is the same price.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    A dowel that's not rived from some nice straight grain and hammered thru a dowel plate is no good for draw bore.
    There is nothing more frustrating then having a dowel break before you get thru the other side.

Aj
    Exactly, and the Veritas tool produces cut rather than riven dowels. The Woodpeckers tool makes riven dowels by pressing the wood through a die plate instead of pounding it through. Besides, as Cary Falk said, they are about the same price anyway.
    That said, I have Veritas' other dowel maker... Their Dowel Former. I like it better than a plate, and it's WAAAYYY less expensive that either of the other two options!

Dowel Former.jpg
    Last edited by Stew Hagerty; 10-12-2016 at 7:09 PM.
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty