Thread: This feels like it might be some sort of scam but is this legit?

Millersburg (Holmes County - Amish Country) Ohio

This feels like it might be some sort of scam but is this legit?

Has anyone bought these plans from diymagicmachine.com?

I'm very hesitant...

anyone built this? Is it good?
    What's the downside?

He talks about not needing any software only an internet connection. Which makes me wonder is he then selling you his designs?

Run. And run fast.

Looks like it's "just" a plywood CNC machine --- there're lots of opensource plans for these --- the Shapeoko 2 is well-documented and available from Github w/ pretty easily sourced components:

https://github.com/shapeoko/Shapeoko_2

and if you check out the Shapeoko wiki it should cover any other questions you might have. The current commercial (forked) version is the X-Carve, while the designer of the Shapeoko 1/2 has gone on to a v3 which is available from Carbide 3D (he's a partner in that company, one of the others is the lead developer for MeshCAM).

I actually went back and forth with them via e-mail a while back. I has a couple of questions I wanted to get answers for. Here is the extent of our email exchange (you should start reading from the bottom):

So the biggest carving you can make is 7 1/2" X 8 1/2" even though the machine is almost 4ft X 5ft?
    That doesn't seem right. Not to mention a huge expenditure in floor pace for such a small capability.
    For approximately $1500 I can buy a Piranha CNC, with inclyded software, which can carve a piece 18 times the size of yours for just 3 times the price and I don't have to build it. Not to mention that I can also purchase add-ons for it if I want a laser engraver, or a 3D printer.

Oh, and there are plans out there on woodworking websites and in woodworking magazines to build one without the need to buy a set.
    And they can carve fairly large pieces.
    The attraction with yours was the step-by-step video, and inclusion of the necessary software.

Seriously, for a machine the size of yours to only be able to carve a 7 1/2" X 8 1/2" piece is ludicrous. No wonder you don't publish that in your literature.

Stew Hagerty
    Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 5

-------- Original message --------
    Date: 9/18/16 4:02 AM (GMT-05:00)
    To: Stewart Hagerty <kiltedcook@msn.com>
    Subject: RE: Smart Saw CNC Question

Hi Stew,

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. The dimensions you initially received are the dimensions of the machine not the work space.

Thank you
    Emily Zlotar
    Customer support
    www.survivopedia.com
    Was this message helpful? Yes It was OK No

On Sat, 17th Sep 2016 at 9:48 pm, Stewart Hagerty <kiltedcook@msn.com> wrote:
    OK, now wait...

Edward Szalinski was talking about dimensions in feet (see below in the email conversation), while you are saying the material can only be a few inches in size.

I am otherwise familiar with the potential capabilities of a CNC machine.

Stew Hagerty

Date: 9/17/16 4:47 AM (GMT-05:00)

On Sat, 17th Sep 2016 at 8:47 am, Emily Zlotar wrote:
    Hi Stew,

The basic limit to the size of a material object it can work on is 3”tall, by 7.5” wide, by 8.5” long. These dimensions represent the extents of a workspace allowed by clearance of the axes.
    The possible uses of the DIY CNC Machine are limited only by your imagination. The DIY CNC Machine can be expanded to meet your larger format needs.
    You can use a variety of end mills to suit whatever material your project requires. You can exchange the operational head unit to change over to PCB milling, laser etching or 3D printing. You can upgrade the spindle for more aggressive work. You can add coolant irrigation or vacuum for debris removal. The options are endless.
    Thank you
    Emily Zlotar
    Customer support
    www.survivopedia.com
    On Fri, 16th Sep 2016 at 9:46 pm, Stewart Hagerty <kiltedcook@msn.com> wrote:
    Thank you for the quick response.

Let me verify this:

X-axis = maximum width of cut between the uprights

Y-axis = maximum length of cut from the front of the platform to the back.

Z-axis = maximum vertical cut from the platform to the bottom of the router bit at its highest elevation.

Also: So then you are supplying the design software free of charge with the purchaseof the plans & video?

Stew Hagerty

From: Edward Szalinski <contact@survivopedia.deskpro.com>
    Date: 9/16/16 7:37 AM (GMT-05:00)

On Fri, 16th Sep 2016 at 11:37 am, Edward Szalinski wrote:
    Hi Stewart

Thank you for your email am for showing interest in our work. Regarding your first
    questions, we use a router. Regarding the second question the dimensions you require they are:

Hobby:

Width : 740mm (2 ft. 5 9/64”)

Length : 1200mm (3 ft 11 1/4“)

Height : 1550mm (5 ft 1 1/32“) the highest point on the X axis

XXL:

Width : 2400mm (7 ft 10 31/64”)

Length : 3500mm (11 ft 5 51/64”)

Height : 1695mm (5 ft 6 47/64”) / the highest point on the X axis

Regarding Internet, you will need it at first to download the programs that you will require but apart
    from that you will not need it.

If there is anything else, please let us know.

Best regards,
    Edward Szalinski
    www.survivopedia.com
    On Fri, 16th Sep 2016 at 6:05 am, Stewart Hagerty <kiltedcook@msn.com> wrote:
    Hi, I am an experienced woodworker, and I have been considering a CNC machine for a while now. I have three questions.

1) Does your design utilize a router or do you use some other system?

2) From what I can tell, the carriage operates in the Y axis, the router/motor mount moves in the Z axis. And rather than the carriage moving, your platform moves back & forth in the X axis. My question is, what is the maximum size piece you can carve?

3) You say you don't need any software, just access to the internet

Stew Hagerty

View and manage this ticket online: http://survivopedia.deskpro.com/tickets/174408
    http://survivopedia.deskpro.com/
    (#JYAAGQD7ZCDJY8TTXR8)
    "I've cut the dang thing three times and it's STILL too darn short"
    Name withheld to protect the guilty

Stew Hagerty

fwiw there are a number of videos for the Shapeoko (and other CNC machines) on YouTube.

The ultra-long introductory video sure smelled like a scam; HOWEVER, after reviewing a number of sites, I decided to spring for it. It has a very complete set of plans, drawings, and detailed videos of the entire construction process for two sizes of CNC routers. It certainly looks legit. I haven't built it yet and have only finished watching two of the eight construction videos. His construction was not super refined -- circular saw and hand-held drill, etc., and I could imagine seasonal wood movement causing some inaccuracies; but at this point that is just my pessimism showing. I'm planning to follow through and build the thing. Searching the web for "DIY CNC routers", I see some additional ideas utilizing plywood and phenolic that I may incorporate into my construction. If you search the web for "DIY Smart Saw images", you will see quite a bit of detail on the design.

The video was obviously done by a marketing person that drank 4 or 5 Red Bulls before narrating the video. Quite a few of the items shown in the video were NOT done on a 3 axis machine, indeed, some of them are obviously lathe work.

As others have said there are lots of plans and info on the internet to build these machines.

I designed and built my first one about ten years ago. I went the MDF route. The machine worked and did a decent job. But then I decided to go rack and pinion for drives to increase feed rates. I used quite a few of the parts from CNC Router Parts.

A couple of things, there is no way you will build a machine in two days as stated in the video. Telling someone the outlay is going to be less than 500 bucks is ridiculous. That is just not going to happen.

If you are thinking of building a machine, the $39 would probably help you understand the fundamentals if you are not familiar with the basics of these machines. A much cheaper router is to spend a few evenings over on the CNC Zone reading through the posts on DIY machine building.

Good luck!