Thread: Good price for Vintage Yates wood lathe

Good price for Vintage Yates wood lathe

A vintage Yates lathe is up for sale in my area (65 mile drive). The owner recently died and the person selling it for him does not know about about it, but is confident it's in excellent working condition. It looks in good condition (I have only seen pictures), and perhaps has been painted recently? (It's blue like the new line of Olivers). It comes with a phase 3 converter. They are asking $2300 which seems high to me. I found an ad for a J-170 from 2013 for $500, so I offered the seller that. Assuming that that it runs smoothly, what do you think is a good price. I wont buy it if its not running smoothly and don't want to make the drive unless i know Im willing to spend what it's really worth. Thanks!!

The price may seem steep but condition and ACCESSORIES is a big factor in the price. Tooling, plates, chucks, wood, etc.. can add a lot of value to the price of lathe. I would assume the seller would be selling a complete lathe with tools and accessories with out breaking up in the estate sale. Too many times there a lathe for sale with nothing else.....then I'd say $2,300 is too much to spend on the lathe alone. Shoulda found that lathe three years ago! That's cheep!

Pictures and/or model number would be nice.
    As stated, the tooling is where the big bucks are.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

No valuable tooling included at all. https://images.craigslist.org/00a0a_...Xf_600x450.jpg

You would probably get better advice in the turning section. I don't turn a lot but here is my 2 cents. i don't care too much for old lathes. The are usually set up for spindle because of the small diameter swing. I am guessing the one pictured will probably turn a 12" with maybe a 16" shallow bowl looking at the gap next to the head. That is fine if you don't want to turn anything big. Probably doesn't have any way to index the spindle. The 3 phase motor is a plus but is it controlled by a VFD(which would be a plus) or something else. It may or may not be able to take a vacuum chuck. Modern lathes are just soo much nicer. If you like old iron for the sake of old iron then go for it. I wouldn't even pay $500 for it. For that you could get a midi lathe that would do the same thing but take up less room.

Those are all good points, Cary. I've never owned a lathe, but am on my second chair project and thinking ahead to maybe making a Windsor chair in the near future. I've bought enough other tools along the way to know that I want my first lathe to be my last. Have been thinking I'd add to the considerable mustard in my shop and get the powermatic 3520. Then this opportunity came up. From what you're saying, I think I'd be happier saving my money a little longer and getting the powermatic

Bob,

If you are already eyeing the 3520, I think this one will be a disappointment.

I have that lathe (well, a similar J-170) that I got from a fellow creeker 5 years ago. For 300 dollars, I got the lathe delivered to my garage, several basic tools and accessories, and some tips and tricks. While its all the lathe I need, I don't think it would be worth nearly 10 times what I bought mine for.

I'd buy that lathe in a minute just not for $2300.00, not for half that either. It is definitely a spindle turning vs bowl oriented machine. Heavy lathes are best and I couldn't imagine a MIDI lathe even coming close to this machine. If an indexed head is important to you it is a simple modification. I think that your offer is in the ballpark depending on the electrics

I bought that same lathe 2 years ago for $350. No tooling, chucks or extras. Had an electrical issue as well. It's a great lathe. $500 might be too much. Just my opinion.