Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need recommendations for new tools.

I just talked to Doug and got my order in for 1/2 in and 5/8th in.bowl gouges and a 1 in bowl scraper,with 2 16in handles.Can't wait to get them..Roger,I estimated the blank weighed around 100 lbs..It was a couple inches deeper when I started but the tool was'nt long enough to get the bottom good so I cut the sides down to access it..I never had the lathe over 400rpms during any of the process..I like my Grizzly.

Curious....did you go with u or v? Lmk on the scraper. I have been contemplating that myself.

Prashun,I went with the U shape because it was what I was using with the old tools..I went with 1in scraper that Doug will grind an edge on for doing the inside and the other side for the outside of bowls.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I prefer the D Way and Thompson tools, and Lyle Jamieson sells a parabolic fluted gouge that is made by Doug. Good tools all. I think I use the U and Lyle's the most, but do switch around.

For a grinder, if you are on a budget, then the Rikon 1 hp grinder is a good deal with plenty of power. If you aren't on a budget, I prefer the Baldor Grinders, built like tanks, but it is a bit difficult to get the Wolverine platform under the wheel housing. I think Joshua just had a thread up on which grinder to choose.

For wheels, CBN wheels for sure. You can go to D Way, or Ken Rizza of Woodturning Wonders. The difference between the two is Ken's are on an aluminum hub, and Daves are on a steel hub and a bit more expensive. 180 grit if you are buying one. If you are buying 2, then either an 80 grit, or a finer grit than the 180, 320, or maybe 600 which is more for finish cuts.

robo hippy
    Sorry if this question has already been asked: are either of the Thompson U or V gouges, or the D Way parabolic like the Ellsworth Crown PM? And, does Thompson sell the Jamieson parabolic, or must you go through Jamieson? Thanks!

went with U shape on the gouges and a 1in scraper..

You have to go to Lyle to pick up his parabolic fluted gouge. Doug claims that the V, when sharpened with a slight arc in the wing does the same thing as a parabolic flute or some thing like that, but I don't know. The V flutes work a bit better if you like swept back wings, which I don't. I only have one old Ellsworth gouge, with a 60 degree bevel, and it works okay, but I generally go with the Thompson gouges.

That 1 inch scraper from Doug is pretty nice. At 5/16 thick, it is just right for me. Some like really big and heavy scrapers, but I can stall my 3 hp Beauty with the 1 inch wide scrapers. Be careful with scrapers anywhere near the rim of a bowl after it has been hollowed out. If you are doing a scraping cut, with the tool flat on the rest, it can start the bowl vibrating as in 'my bowl made this strange screeching and howling sound, and then blew up'. Shear scrape, with it up in edge at a 45 angle, or higher is much safer. For sweeping across the bottom, flat on the tool rest is okay.

robo hippy