Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need recommendations for new tools.

Need recommendations for new tools.

Hello,I'm looking for new tool help..I've been using sorby tools that I've had for 25 years and they work great..I don't have a low speed grinder so my bowl gouge is going away faster than it should I guess..I have not been turning for 25 years so the tools sat for a long time..I have been turning for the last 2 years..I really like making bowls so I'm considering a Thompson 1/2 in bowl gouge.Does it make sense to buy a bigger one also for roughing bowls?? I also want to buy a round nose scraper for finishing the inside of bowls but I didn't see one in the Thompson line..Any suggestions on the best all around size for a scraper and brand..??Also can someone recommend a low speed grinder and wheel for sharpening??THANK YOU for your time..

I highly recommend the Thompson 1/2" V bowl gouge - my main bowl gouge. I will be calling him soon to replace it and, like you, wonder if a 5/8" would make a good companion.

The scrapers are un sharpened. I was looking just now and thought I remembered that he would put the grind you want on it. Doug is really good communicating and making good personal recommendations over the telephone.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Call Doug and get his advice. He's a super nice guy and is always willing to help.

If it were me, I would but both 1/2" and 5/8" bowl gouges. Use the 5/8" for bigger bowls and the 1/2" for smaller stuff. I believe Doug sells the square scrapers but will grind them for you (or it's easy to do yourself).

I have the slow speed grinder from Woodcraft and it works great. The stock wheels are ok but I would upgrade one of them to a CBN wheel when you can afford it.
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Richard,

If just turning bowls I would eventually want the 3/8" and 1/2" Thompson gouges. I also have a 5/8" but I think it is bigger than needed.

As mentioned, just grind the scrapers the way you want them. I keep some of Doug's flat scrapers and grind one to a new shape as needed. A few months ago I ground two of his scrapers and one of his skew chisels into these 3/4" and 1" negative-rake scrapers:

scrapers_neg_rake.jpg

BTW, I far prefer a grind like this for smoothing tool marks from the inside of a bowl. (Don't tell anyone, but I don't even put handles on them since the touch needed is light and they don't catch.) The one ground from a skew chisel is a little thinner but it still works fine. After using one of these, the only sandpaper needed inside a bowl is often 400 grit.

FWIW, I also use hand scrapers a lot, especially for the inside center of bowls and platters. For me this is gives a better surface with less effort.

scrapers_.jpg

As for grinders, you want cheap or quality? I have a Metabo in my little weld shop but they are expensive. My favorite for cheap is the no-name 3/4hp 1/2 speed grinder that Woodcraft used to sell but I don't know where to get these now. The Rikons they sell now are not nearly as good quality but they work OK. The 1/2hp Rikon is a little under-powered for two steel CBN wheels (I'm told) but works OK with aluminum CBN wheels (my experience). I buy from Ken Rizza, Woodturners Wonders. The bigger Rikon sounds better but I haven't bought one yet.

BTW, these cheap grinders are mostly crap with the cheap wheels they come with. Both the one I bought and on we bought for a school had horrible vibration. Replacing the junk wheels with good wheels should help a lot but far better, if the budget allows, is a CBN wheel or two - always balanced, amazing grind. I use them from 80 to 600 grit on the small Rikon and the larger no-name. Look up Reed Grey CBN wheel for his article for a good introduction.

Do yourself a big favor and buy or build a jig to sharpen gouges - by getting a repeatable cut you take off only a tiny amount of metal each time. The Wolverine support with the Varigrind jig is perfect but you can make a jig for almost nothing. If you get the Varigrind, I recommend staying away from the newer Varigrind 2 model - I can't stand to use it.

JKJ

My go to tool is the Thompson 5/8 V. When Doug was just starting out making his tools he did a demo at my club, a Cowboy Hat demo. He started with a 75lb blank and with only two tools (a 1/2" V and a 3/8" V) he ended up with a 9 ounce hat in under two hours. If my memory serves me he only sharpened the 3/8 V once towards the end. You will not find a better person to help with your decision, give him a call. As far as a grinder it totally depends on your pocket book, if it is shallow try the small Rikon. This grinder surprised me out of the box as to how smooth it ran, I can't guarantee that they are all like that. I now have two CBN wheels on that grinder and even though it takes a little more time to wind up to full speed it does the job. If your pockets are deep there are many superior grinders out there. A jig as mentioned above is good idea and the mentioned Wolverine is a good choice but I would also suggest looking at the Vector Fixture by Hannes Tools, two very good systems.

My personal choices are ALWAYS Thompson and D-Way. I had a 5/8", but it is a bit too large for my taste. My go to gouges are a D-Way 1/2", a Thompson 3/8" V, a Thompson 1/2" V, and a Thompson 1/2" U bottom feeder - in that order. I also love Dave's (D-Way) other tools - the thin parting tool, the diamond and beading tools and his 3/8" spindle gouge. I couldn't do the work I do without Doug's 3/8" and 1/4" detail gouges and the negative rake scraper he ground for me.

Seems almost everyone like the V gouges. Well, I find them one step above useless. Suggest you find some one who has both the V and U and give them a try before buying

I have the Thompson U 5/8" and Thompson V 1/2". I prefer the V 1/2". I mainly turn bowls in the 8-12" range, so the 1/2" has become my go-to. The 5/8" is great for bringing rough blanks into round, but my 1/2" gives more control with plenty of efficiency for everything else. I can't tell the difference between my U and V flute.

You can make a round nosed scraper out of any of Thompson's flat scrapers on your grinder.

Thank you to everyone for the tips..I will be calling Doug soon..I will also be looking around at the grinders..Nice to have a place to go to get experienced advice,saves lots of money in the long run..Thank you all again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I prefer the D Way and Thompson tools, and Lyle Jamieson sells a parabolic fluted gouge that is made by Doug. Good tools all. I think I use the U and Lyle's the most, but do switch around.

For a grinder, if you are on a budget, then the Rikon 1 hp grinder is a good deal with plenty of power. If you aren't on a budget, I prefer the Baldor Grinders, built like tanks, but it is a bit difficult to get the Wolverine platform under the wheel housing. I think Joshua just had a thread up on which grinder to choose.

For wheels, CBN wheels for sure. You can go to D Way, or Ken Rizza of Woodturning Wonders. The difference between the two is Ken's are on an aluminum hub, and Daves are on a steel hub and a bit more expensive. 180 grit if you are buying one. If you are buying 2, then either an 80 grit, or a finer grit than the 180, 320, or maybe 600 which is more for finish cuts.

robo hippy

What size lathe do you have? If you have a "big" lathe, then getting a bowl gouge that is 5/8 or bigger can be helpful. Personally, my big gouge is a 3/4" sorby, which is actually almost an inch in diameter. I find it very useful IF I have to hog off lots of wood, and it is my rougher on the outside. Probably NOT a worthy investment, but I picked it up dirt cheap on the bay bidding site.

I also agree, see if you can find a nearby club to see if you can try the the V and U gouges. As mentioned, the V's are not for everyone. I prefer the U gouges, given a choice.

I became the owner of a grizzly 0766 early this summer,and I do want to make bigger bowls.I'm attaching a pic of a bowl that I finished last week.It's 18X8 and 3/4 in thick walls and weighs in at 14 1/2 lbs. I realize it pretty bulky but for a first big bowl that stayed together I'm happy with it..
    Attached Images Attached Images

Richard, that is a wonderful monster bowl!
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Thank you!

15. 18 X 8 is pretty big! Nice! That G0766 handled it well, right? How much do you estimate as the full weight of the wood blank you started off with?
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!