Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reviving the Double Iron: Steve Voigt Planemaker

Blog Entries

Reviving the Double Iron: Steve Voigt Planemaker

Good morning! Our own Steve Voigt shared his story on my blog. Steve details the trials he went through in becoming the first contemporary commercial maker of 18th century double iron wooden planes. Please have a look, Steve and I look forward to your comments.

brianholcombewoodworker.com/2016/10/14/reviving-the-double-iron-steve-voigt-planemaker/
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-14-2016 at 10:48 AM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Good morning Steve,

An interesting article and well written.
    Lately I've built three wooden planes and, I have to say that the main mortise was quite a challenge. The end result is nowhere near as nice as yours but they do work properly.

I've built those planes because I had the feeling of working with high tech tools (LN, LV) doing traditional woodworking.

In any cases, good luck with this business.

Normand

Good article, Steve! I have followed your progress with much interest, not the least because you are part of the family, and as much because you are pioneering and doing excellent work. Keep it up!

Regards from Perth

Derek

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Good morning! Our own Steve Voigt shared his story on my blog. Steve details the trials he went through in becoming the first contemporary commercial maker of double iron wooden planes. Please have a look, Steve and I look forward to your comments.
    Err, Steve's specific claim is that he's the "first commercial maker of 18th century wooden planes".

Makers like ECE/Ulmia have been doing modern double-iron wooden planes all along, as have Japanese makers for that matter, so the unqualified claim in your post (without "18th century") is problematic.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 10-14-2016 at 10:48 AM.

Blog Entries
    Fixed.

We made a few planes with single irons way back,too. So Larry wasn't the only maker back then. I made some double irons,too,for my own use in the 70's and 80's. Those got sold off as collectors kept coming into the Instrument Shop.

I made planes for myself even in the 1950's.
    had some in the shop. Collectors kept coming into the Musical Instrument Shop and offering me amounts of money that I couldn't refuse () Sorry I got rid of so many. But,when you're young,you always think "I will make a replacement". My first infill was in 1957. I couldn't afford to BUY tools,so I made planes,clamps,etc..

The only early infill plane I DID replace was my "Nessie" model. The shoulder plane with 3 humps. That one was too cool to not replace. An airline pilot bought the first one. Those guys seemed to have money coming out of their ears!

The large jointer was made in the 70"s. The boxwood one was made in 1970. I was in a private shop for that first year,so I could hurry and get the large harpsichord done. The Cuban mahogany infill was made in the early 80's. It is now in Oregon,in a collection.

Of course,I only have a picture of one batch of planes.single iron,that we made for museum use. I gave the boxwood one to a retiring vice president of architecture who had been a good friend. It is possibly in Texas. He is now dead.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by george wilson; 10-14-2016 at 11:57 AM.

Blog Entries
    Absolutely beautiful work George! I always enjoy seeing your work!

The "Nessie"one.I still have it. I'll post a few others as so many seem to not have seen the pictures.

The straight sided one is actually a 1/2 size "salesman's sample" repro. I made after seeing the original in the collection of a wealthy tool collector. It is a double iron plane. I liked it so much,I reproduced it when I got back. The "sacrificial screw" is on the FRONT,as was the original. I don't know why they put it there. It certainly would do no good for the dovetails holding the front of the plane on.Both iron planes were made of the VERY RARE "Curly iron"!!

The curved one is dovetailed,and stuffed with mahogany which I stained too dark. It IS double iron. And,made the handle too delicate!! At least in my hands,it has never been broken. Sometimes I would go too extreme back then. Have learned to use more restraint now. I have seen a lot of work where the maker would go too extreme. Something that younger people frequently need to learn.

But,none of my double iron planes were made expressly to sell,or on any regular basis,so I can't claim to be a commercial maker of double iron planes. Or even of single iron planes,as I made them for the museum,as was part of my catch-all job as Toolmaker.

I say "catch all" because I made everything they ever asked for,some things weren't tools. Some were gifts for dignitaries. In fact,one of my first jobs as toolmaker was to spend 4 or 5 months making the surveyor's compass for David Brinkley. Then,I made a parade float for the Blacksmith's Shop to be used in the big parade in Philly in 1989. They tried to duplicate the original parade celebrating the ratification of the Constitution in 1789. Odd jobs were always part of my "catch all" position. I wish I had made pictures of the float,and of many other things I did that were odd ball.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Derek and Normand,

Thanks very much for the nice comments. Glad you guys enjoyed it! And thanks so much to Brian for giving me the opportunity.
    "For me, chairs and chairmaking are a means to an end. My real goal is to spend my days in a quiet, dustless shop doing hand work on an object that is beautiful, useful and fun to make." --Peter Galbert

I finally had time to read the article (as opposed to just nit-picking the SMC post title :-). Well done and nicely written, Steve!

I was able to try several of Steve's planes at the Hearne Hardwoods open house two weeks ago. The planes were well made with functional cap irons. They had nice action for adjustment, were comfortable and well balanced.

Many of today's planes are not really designed for demanding professional use, but Steve's are an exception; they would fit right into my shop and my routine.

They are beautifully made planes!!

What a great forum to have such great craftsmen to learn from. Excellent post Steve...and dang, more druel on my keyboard. As always Geoge, your work is stellar.

Excellent work George. I recently came across your video series on violin and harpischord construction. Phenomenal. I've watched it 3x.

Still gotta go read the blog. Look's like a good way to spend part of a Fall afternoon.

George, I just wanted to say how much I enjoy seeing samples of your work. The planes are all beautifully crafted. The more I looked at "Nessie", the more she grew on me. And the "curly iron" is a really nice effect. Can you tell us how you did that Sir?

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”