Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reviving the Double Iron: Steve Voigt Planemaker

Thanks Warren, I sure appreciate that. It was really a pleasure to meet you and talk tools and techniques; it was definitely the highlight of the weekend for me. Thanks as well for the feedback you provided; I found it very useful and helpful.

Curly iron is easily done by wrapping 600 grit wet or dry tightly around a file. Tilt the file on edge and saw it back and forth on the surface you are "curling",while moving it sideways. It is very superficial,but if you wish to use a polish on the iron,and it "fades " a bit,it is easily renewed.

I'll have to look at my stuff and see if I have an antique double iron to send to Steve. Or,do you have a new made source?
    Last edited by george wilson; 10-15-2016 at 8:49 AM.

Thanks George!

Some of these decorative surfacing techniques were called "snailing" in the old days. But,I can find no such definition by Googling. Must have become a lost word in that sense.

Great article and outstanding work Steve!! I have been quietly watching your progress and you have really refined the details of these planes to meet the standards of some of the best in the industry. I also really appreciate how willing you are to give credit to all your mentors and most of all it was great to hear you give credit to David Weaver. I feel like he was a huge part in not only the double iron resurgence but also making the traditional British/American style wooden plane popular again. I also love the fact that you were able to get Lee Valley on board in making your tapered irons as we all know they must be well made. One of these days I will certainly splurge on one of your wonderfully made planes. Keep up the great work and I hope all the success you can handle.

George, once again truly impressive work. Even though I've seen most of those pictures before I never get bored with them showing up again!

Thanks for sharing this guys. Generous and inspiring.

Hey Tony,
    Thanks for the kind words. One of these years I'll make it up to the LN open house, and you can try some planes out there.

Steve it is nice to read about you finding your calling. I think your planes are a good example of well thought out craftsmanship. Wish I could afford one. I have too many metal planes. Great blog article Brian.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    Great article and outstanding work Steve!! I have been quietly watching your progress and you have really refined the details of these planes to meet the standards of some of the best in the industry. I also really appreciate how willing you are to give credit to all your mentors and most of all it was great to hear you give credit to David Weaver. I feel like he was a huge part in not only the double iron resurgence but also making the traditional British/American style wooden plane popular again. I also love the fact that you were able to get Lee Valley on board in making your tapered irons as we all know they must be well made. One of these days I will certainly splurge on one of your wonderfully made planes. Keep up the great work and I hope all the success you can handle.

George, once again truly impressive work. Even though I've seen most of those pictures before I never get bored with them showing up again!
    Tony,

If you want one I would suck it up and get in line. The planes are as nice as any and much better than most and I expect soon the wait list will be long and the price will be much higher. Not because Steve is mercenary but because that is just the way price/supply curve works. I have the three planes Steve offers at this time when he develops a new one I expect to be one of the first in line. They are wonderful to look at and to use and they are a bargain.

ken