Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: custom walnut table

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Evans View Post
    On an unrelated note: can I live in a corner of your shop? I won't take up much room.

Well there isnt much room left.. lol. When three guys are working and you have something going on like a kitchen - or a full dining set, etc not much room to turn around. I have 6000 sq ft of shop, its all full.
    Andrew J. Coholic

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I agree with Brian E...while I'm personally very anal about grain and color for most projects and most often try to get multiple boards to look like one wide one, in this particular case, the "massiveness" of the timbers on that top is enhanced by the more random nature of the planks. This is an awesome table!
    Thanks, your comments are appreciated (as well as others) and I just hope my customer feels the same way..
    Andrew J. Coholic

Blog Entries
    As long as the customer understands there is sap in the table he/she should enjoy this. When we send samples there will be a sap and no sap sample sent. According to which is picked will set the price...

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    As long as the customer understands there is sap in the table he/she should enjoy this. When we send samples there will be a sap and no sap sample sent. According to which is picked will set the price...
    In post #4 I said I was hoping for even more sapwood and wild grain. They wanted that look. Something like a live edge slab, without the live edge and no cracks/knots... but the look of natural walnut. Not all straight grain, uniform colour etc.

I generally make 100% sure what my customers want before I build. And during the build if there are any questions, we discuss things as not to have any surprises when we are done.

I learned in my early years in this business (back in the later 80's and early 90's) not to assume much. I make samples and go over everything with my customers before we do the work. However, in a job like this where we are bringing in the wood specifically for the job - I am not able to select through a pile to cherry pick. But I think it will work out.

I stock a fair bit of lumber (several thousand bfm in the shop at all times) in many species we use, in 4/4, 6/4 and 8/4 thickness. If this was a "normal" thickness top, I would have 3 or 4 times the amount of wood I need to build the job to select through. But this stuff was too expensive to bring in more than needed. I just dont use thick material like this often enough to stock it.
    Andrew J. Coholic

Blog Entries
    We don't have the option of customer on site. We have to send samples to specify the look. Multiple emails,pictures,phone conversations and final approval.

We built a walnut display case last week that was rejected because it didn't match the bar top color 100%. We will rebuild and finish again as we are a 100% customer satisfaction company...

Quote Originally Posted by jack duren View Post
    We don't have the option of customer on site. We have to send samples to specify the look. Multiple emails,pictures,phone conversations and final approval.

We built a walnut display case last week that was rejected because it didn't match the bar top color 100%. We will rebuild and finish again as we are a 100% customer satisfaction company...
    It is very rare I do work for people I dont meet in person, have them in the shop to explain the process and see samples. We are just starting a large $35K stair & railing job (large for my shop) that we just spent several weeks going over everything, samples of the wood, finish, rail and posts, etc. A bit of an unusual job design wise - and work within the local building codes - and try and give them the design they want. Just got the green light, so now we can give er'. But I also know enough to periodically check with them during the build to get the OK at several steps along the way.

The majority of my work is within a 2 hour drive of my shop, so meeting up isnt difficult. I have done some work much further than that, but its not common and I generally know the people well, and know what they like. I do a lot of repeat work over the years, and you get to know what your customer likes, style wise. And how much they like to, or not like to, add to the process.

I dont envy shops that have to build stuff and ship where you dont meet your end customer or get to see the space its going in...
    Andrew J. Coholic

Blog Entries
    I'm been in it too long to get personal with the projects anymore. I never know who the customer is.....

Finished the table construction today. Please dont critique my stick welding, it is functional but not pretty! I know! lol

Fabricated the brackets from 1 1/2" and 1" angle, and some 1 1/2" plate steel. Three 4" by 3/8" lags into the base panel and 4pcs 2" lags into the top will secure the works,- with two brackets per panel.

The panel shouldn't move enough where the 3 lags are screwed into it to cause me grief. And overall, the panel and top will move together so everything should remain stress free with seasonal movement.

With the panel, I machined two 1/8" slots deep enough to accept the steel angle, and then undercut it so the steel plate in between the angle sits tight on the wood after the lags are screwed home. The underside of the top was routered to accept the brackets, so the bottom of the base panel sits flat on it and the bracket is completely hidden from view.

It worked great. Extremely secure. You cannot feel any movement in the table when standing at one end and pushing on the top.

SOme pics...

The base panel machined to accept the brackets

Brackets

Bracket fit into the base

Fitted to the top (no lag bolts in yet)

And the first time sitting upright.
    Andrew J. Coholic

That........is fabulous!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Beautiful and massive. I bet your customer won't move it often.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

You got the table done Looks nice.Now that I see the whole piece together I like it.
    The bracket is cool always wondered how that was done.
    Looks very modern.
    Thanks for sharing your finished work.

Aj

Looks nice Andrew.
    Are you finishing underneath the table afterwards?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew J. Coholic View Post
    I have some OCD traits I have been fighting for most of my life, so I can relate to your grain orientation comment..
    I see this in a lot of woodworkers . . . as well as other craftsmen . . . as well as in myself ;-) I think the results of those battles that land somewhere between total CDO (that's just like OCD but, with the letters in the right order) and creative whimsy yield some of my best work. I use sapwood as a design element when I get folks who see the possibilities. Straight, even, figure is fine and can be beautiful in its own right but, I like a bit of pizzazz. The table is looking beautiful; strong solid stance, points of interest with the burl, very nicely done.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    Looks nice Andrew.
    Are you finishing underneath the table afterwards?
    I sprayed several coats on the underside Friday. It's turned over and currently working on the top...
    Andrew J. Coholic

After a week`s cure, we delivered the table today. Always a good thing when it gets in the truck, to the customer`s house and set up with no damage.

They were thrilled. That means I can finally relax and worry about the next project. The have a new area rug and chairs coming. But my work is done. That is one heavy table.

Andrew J. Coholic