Thread: Breadboard ends

Breadboard ends

Are breadboard ends on table tops etc a traditional design feature in North America? I'm trying to get my head around why this theme appears so often in discussion. It's rare in Australia in my experience. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

Supposedly, the breadboard ends help prevent the top from bowing, twisting and warping. In my experience, good straight grained an properly dried wood will seldom do that anyway. I think it is pretty nice looking and covers the dreaded end grain look.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 10-15-2016 at 12:32 PM.

Also, breadboard ends hide any joinery, such as splines, holding the boards together. Obviously, the down side is the seasonal movement issues unless the top is plywood.

It makes me think it is a tradition from times when seasoned timber was not readily available perhaps? Cheers

The breadboard dates at least to Shaker furniture. Not sure if that's its origin. I think it came to be as a way to keep panels flat during seasonal change. Today with air conditioning to control humidity in the air, the breadboard is mostly for asthetics, covering end grain.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

So it seems to be a North American traditional approach to solving both an aesthetic and structural problem. The covering end grain argument has always seemed a bit shaky to me though. You just split the shown end grain into 2 areas rather than a single area. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.