Thread: New Shelix cutter head

New Shelix cutter head

I am replacing the straight knives on my jointer with a shelix cutter. I noticed some holes drilled into the new shaft, I'm assuming the holes are to ensure the shaft is balanced. Is this thinking correct?

Thanks,

Joe
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Joseph Fenske; 10-15-2016 at 3:44 PM.

That would be my guess. It looks like it was off by quite a bit. I don't have anything like that on my 8" byrd, 15" Grizzly, or the 8" Grizzly that I just put in a friends jointer.

That looks a little strange to me. I do not have that on either of the two Sheilx cutter heads that I use. I would call the company and ask about it.

I believe that is correct. I'm pretty sure I have a couple holes on my replacement head as well.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Drilling holes in metal is a method of balancing rotating devices used all the time. You will often see it used on the wheels of bandsaws.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Yes, holes are for dynamic balancing. Just like tires on your car, except they subtract weight from the high points rather than adding weight. Pretty much every head that spins on a shaft has this somewhere. All my shaper heads do, both my Byrd heads to. Not a flaw, shows they do it right.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

+1 on the balancing. My shelix head has same. Also the tool holders on the $300,000 CNC router at work are precision balanced in the same manner, so I certainly would t worry about it. I'd be more concerned if there were no balancing marks.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

I really appreciate all the responses. The more I thought about it, the more I agree that the holes are a good thing. I dropped the shelix head off at the machine shop to have the bearing pressed on. Should be able to pick it up after work today.