Thread: next tool for a new turner

next tool for a new turner

Ok, so I have a twist. I am just getting sucked into the vortex. I am looking to buy a few good, high quality tools. For a virility of reasons that revolve around my mobility and the sever neuropathy I have in my hands I have decide to start out with Easy Wood tools, a rougher and a finisher. I already have them, and they were an excellent decision, as they have allowed me to start turning, and give me confidence. I also have a very good buddy (he actually gave me my lathe) who has MS and his tremors preclude regular lathe tools, but he can use the Easy Wood ones, as they require no "English" if you know what I mean.

my question revolves around what my next tool should be. I am turning bowls, and plan to turn legs. I prefer buying tools from Lee Valley, as it is local, and I like paying cash. I have a tight budget, but don't mind paying once for a good tool. Any recommendations?
    Paul

Hi Paul. I am very interested in your experiences with turning while dealing with hand neuropathy. I don't have any idea what the next tool should be, but I'll share my thoughts. I have no Easy Tools, but I see that they are carbide tipped. I assume that makes it so you do not yet need a sharpening system. That also makes sense that they could be comfortable in that they are taking off lighter amounts of material and could be easier on the hands. If you do have a sharpener I might recommend a spindle gouge. If not maybe the Easy detailer so you can continue your experiments with a system that works for you.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Mid - Michigan - 25 miles east of Lansing
    Paul - Since you're doing bowls, a bowl gouge would be a natural choice, of course. I'd go small since you already have the ability to hog out material. Say a 1/4" or 3/8". Brand is the next thing. Let your budget be your guide. My favorites now are my Sorby's.

Remember that if you are going to hop into the steel tooling ring you will need a way to sharpen your tools. I use steel almost exclusively and spent a considerable amount of time learning I wasn't going to get good at sharpening hand held. Ever. So I invested in a grinder, LOML got me a OneWay Wolverine jig and my turning skills took an immediate huge leap up.

Good luck!

Oops, I guess I should have started out by saying I am an experienced woodworker, and experienced sharpener with a good grinder and good belt grinder. A wolverine jig was (is) definitely in the cards.

I really want want to turn bowls. I am considering the following tools http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...,43175&p=20261 or perhaps http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...,49233&p=49139
    they are both expensive, but seem to be good, high quality tools. Importantly, I can pay cash for them. LV also sells an economy bowl gouge http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...,56745&p=56745 that I admit I am considering, as it would be much less of a hit on my tight tool budget.

Can an anyone give me some feedback on these, or any other LV available bowl gouges? I know my LV obsession limits me, but not using a credit card is a limiting factor for me. Being able to return it locally is much easier as well.

Thanks in advance,
    Paul

Since you want to deal with Lee Valley just get the Super-Flute but get someone to show you how to use it as it is a gouge and not a scraper.

Paul I live in the lower mainland and have most tools that are available . . . well actually there are a few I don't have but . . .
    If you live anywhere near me and would like to test drive any specific tool I would be happy to bring to you or have you over for a visit.
    In addition you might consider joining the Greater Vancouver Wood turners Guild which meets monthly in Sapperton, we welcome guests just in case you wanted to 'test drive' a meeting.
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

I appreciate the offer very much. I live on the island, and rarely get off, cause it's so expensive to get off, and I have some mobility issues.

Its too bad, I went to grad school in Vancouver, but that was a few years ago!
    Paul

Paul, that's really too bad. I live in Ladner, grew up in Sannich. I do get to the Island once in a while but it sounds as if you are wanting to choose something pretty quickly. I do know that Victoria has a turning club you may want to consider a visit with them
    http://www.islandwoodturners.ca. Best of luck!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Since you are using carbides (scrapers) a nice large scraper will move wood easily and when sharp, produce fine shavings as well. The bowl gouge recommended will do you well, but if you have hand limitations, a large scraper will also do the inside and outside of a bowl. I have a ton of gouges, but as it has been argued, you can do plenty with a scraper too. I just processed a bunch of black walnut, and instead of sharpening the gouges so often, cheated and roughed with my 1 1/4" scraper at times instead. I have carpal tunnel syndrome in both of my wrists, from factory work when in my teens, but I find having different methods of turning keeps the symptoms at bay. If holding a tool becomes an issue, do not fret. An articulated arm would allow you to create without having to hold the tool, but of course, the arm is expensive.
    Last edited by Jeramie Johnson; 10-18-2016 at 3:46 PM.