Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Aging eyes

Aging eyes

So, a new(for me) backsaw arrived this week the result of yet another trip to eBay. It's in pretty good shape but it needs sharpening. My eyes have never been my strongest asset and now in my late fifties they are worse than ever. Any thing smaller than 10tpi I cannot see clearly, I've been thinking of using a watchmakers loupe,anyone got a better idea and if you have gone down this road what magnification proved useful.

You might consider one of the magnifying lamps - you get the light you need and about 2x magnification. Might allow you to sit or stand straighter and ease any back problems.

Magnifying headset

I have an inexpensive magnifying headset, similar to what dentists and jewellers use. It has two strengths of interchangeable magnifiers, flips up when you don't need it, down when you do. I only wish it had a lamp. A good LED headlamp would probably have eliminated the need for the magnifier in my case. Five years later they told me that my problem was cateracts. What a difference.

Blog Entries
    I use readers or a magnifier lens over my bifocals. Sometimes two pair of readers stacked makes for good magnification.

You will have to see what works best for you. I have used various readers over the years so there are a few extra pairs about with which to experiment.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

For that very purpose I bought the magnifying bench lamp from Lee Valley. I also added the dog hole add on. It works very well for me. I've tried the various head magnifiers but don't find them comfortable. Here's the link:
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...96,43349,56768

I do some very tiny work,as you may know. I was using 4x drugstore glasses for several years for closeup work. Since my eyes are about the same,I can get away with it.

A few years ago I got new plastic lenses implanted in my eyes,and it greatly improved my vision. Now I can easily read my wrist watch without glasses,and can see .38 caliber bullet holes on paper 100 yards away.

I did not get the multiple focus ones thoug,as they would not be paid for by my insurance,and were something like $10,000.00. That might have been per eye,I can't recall.

My new lenses are great as is,and for very closeup work,I still wear the 4x drugstore glasses. There is only ONE drugstore here that sells that high a magnification. The rest sell 3.75X at the most. That one drugstore specializes in aids for the sick room and the elderly,which I guess I AM at nearly 76!! But still not feeble!!

I had gotten 4x prescription glasses,but can't tell the difference,and now they are mixed in with my drugstore ones,and I've forgotten WHICH are the prescription glasses!

The only problem I have noticed is I can get pretty tired after wearing the 4x for 2 or 3 hours. Otherwise,they are great.

I do not advise trying to work through a fixed lamp type magnifier. Too restrictive,and it doesn't let you move your head around,especially when filing a long saw blade,etc.. I can't stand headband type magnifiers myself,though my friend Jon wears them. The glasses allow perfect freedom when moving about. I wear flat top type lenses so I can look over the top of the glasses when walking about the room or climbing stairs. You can't see anything at distance with 4x glasses!!

Not too long ago,I had to make a replacement letter "E" with serifs 1/32" high. My letter E in my 1/32" set of letter stamps broke. I was able to do this with my 4x glasses,though in use,they do not seem to be excessively magnifying. Go to a drug store and try some on. I'm sure you can find 4x glasses on Amazon. But,don't buy the $3.00 ones. Get ones that cost about $20.00 at least. Those super cheap ones just aren't up to the quality you need,and sometimes their lenses are mismatched.
    Last edited by george wilson; 10-17-2016 at 8:35 AM.

How's your lighting? Things improved for me immensely when I upgraded my lights to LED's this summer.

Watchmaking is my other hobby. Being able to see what you're doing is essential. I use a bausch and lomb loop clipped to my eyeglasses but in order for the watch to be in focus, your eye needs to be very close to the subject which wouldnt be practical for your purposes. I'd try a magnifier lamp as others have recommended or a hood with a magnifier. Even when I have good lighting, I often wear a headlamp to illuminate exactly what I'm focusing on.

Optivisor is the industry standard for needed magnification while working. The lenses with the 6-7 inch focal length is the one to use while working with your hands.

Blog Entries
    Old age is a pain, but it sure beats the alternative.

Read the string I started this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    How's your lighting? Things improved for me immensely when I upgraded my lights to LED's this summer.

+1 on more light. It's pretty universal I think that eyes lose acuity in low light as they age.

Blog Entries
    I love my two task lights, both LED's. More light and magnification solves many sight issues.

Click to enlarge:

TaskLighting2.jpg

Both of mine are on their own stands, which I find to be very convenient. The long flexible arms allow me to position them exactly where I need them.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 10-17-2016 at 11:11 AM.

Remember,the higher the magnification,the closer you will need to have your head from the work.

I tried a pair of those little telescopes that are mounted on eyeglass type frames. Not very cheap,but not nearly as expensive as doctors use. They focus about 14" from he work,in spite of their magnification. I felt as if my hands were not attached to my body! Sent them back. The guy who imports them for Manhattan Supply was not nice or helpful at all.

Quote Originally Posted by michael langman View Post
    Optivisor is the industry standard for needed magnification while working. The lenses with the 6-7 inch focal length is the one to use while working with your hands.
    I use an Optivisor when building scale model kits. Good lighting is also important.

I might mention that just getting new lenses in your eyes is not the only factor in keeping good vision. I was told that by an optician,but he didn't explain.