Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Aging eyes

As others have stated, get a pair of Optivisors, they are the best an run about $35-40 a set. You can also buy different optimer lenses for these and a lighting kit. I also purchased a cool old magnifying lamp made by Dazor that has 3 compact florescent bulbs that I really love. You can find these at good prices in Ebay, but don't get taken. Also Dazor is a first rate company that is still in business and still offers parts for most of their lamps.

Blog Entries
    I have a pair of reading glasses at 3.25 power that I found in a drugstore on Padre Island that I use. They do really well for me.

You might just shop for high power readers instead of other devices. You also can find really strong powers on line.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 10-19-2016 at 2:24 PM.

David,
    You have received great advice about lighting and various types of instruments. You also asked aobut magnification. I have used an optivisor type headset for several years (maybe the best $24 I have spent in woodworking) for joinery and other tasks. I used the 2x lens for a couple of years, but the 10 inch focal length became a problem for an arthritic neck. I switched to the 1.75x lens with its 14 inch focal length. I cannot tell much difference in magnification, but a big difference in neck comfort.
    Steve

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    David; I purchased the Optivisor but found its benefits were limited due to its lack of an inbuilt light source. My new magnifier with L.E.D. better suits my purpose, of which includes sharpening high tpi backsaws,

Stewie, what's the focal length for your magnifying lens with built in light? Err... I guess what I'm really asking is how close do you need to get the lens to the saw and how close do your eyes need to be to the lens to get a clear image? Seems like it might be an interesting solution and I appreciate your feedback.

Given the beautiful work you do with your own saws, it clearly welcome works well for you!

Cheers, Mike

Blog Entries
    Mike and David,
    Did you see my post regarding reading glasses. They have glasses up to +6.25. Mine are 3.25 and I don't need nor use a magnifier hood anymore. George Wilson posted something about it before. I just noticed he posted in this string as well.

After reading his post, I found some +3.25 glasses that did the trick.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 10-20-2016 at 2:44 PM.