Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downloads from a popular site

Blog Entries

Downloads from a popular site

There is a woodworking site that I have been downloading articles from for years. About six months ago, when I try to download articles or videos, I don't get what I order, I get a copy of the download page.

I have communicated with them to no avail. After a few days, they look into it and say the issue is fixed, but it is not.
    I get a download from them, but it is a copy of the download order.

I am not saying who it is, but wonder if I am the only one experiencing this.

In other words, is it my computer or the site that has the problem?

Just an idea...have you cleared your browser cache since they said they fixed it?
    Brett
    Peters Creek, Alaska

Man is a tool-using animal. Nowhere do you find him without tools; without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all. — Thomas Carlyle (1795-1881)

Blog Entries
    If I knew how I would. I did once before, but I don't remember the steps.

After this post, I found the downloads and blew them away. I will try again.

Thanks.
    It did not work, all I got was a picture of the sites download page.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 10-17-2016 at 6:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post

Thanks.
    If you don't know how to do something on your computer ask it, it will tell you. By that I mean google it or go to youtube. There ain't nothing you can't find online and the computer geeks are there in force.

Blog Entries
    I did that. I found a copy of the download page, NOT the download. I have may downloads from past orders and can still view them.

I have been getting a copy of the page from this site, not the download ordered. It looks like a receipt, but there is no instruction on getting the down load.

I give up.

There is a large site I go to. Every few months I have to log out and log back in to clear the cookies.

There is a fine place I go as well. Could it be the same place?

Thanks.
    It did not work, all I got was a picture of the sites download page.
    Lowell,

Which browser are you using? If Chrome click on "Chrome" and the drop down will have a "Clear Browsing Data..." option. Foxfire go Preferences/Privacy and it will give you the option to clear all cookies. Safari drop down Preferences/Privacy/Manage Web Site Date.

Should get you started.

ken

There is a woodworking site that I have been downloading articles from for years. About six months ago, when I try to download articles or videos, I don't get what I order, I get a copy of the download page.

I have communicated with them to no avail. After a few days, they look into it and say the issue is fixed, but it is not.
    I get a download from them, but it is a copy of the download order.

I am not saying who it is, but wonder if I am the only one experiencing this.

In other words, is it my computer or the site that has the problem?
    Lowell, I think that you need to mention the website by name. We may be then better able to advise. For example, I downloaded several videos from the Pop Wood store recently. I am on Chrome with a MacBook Pro. It required clicking on the download hyperlink (in the receipt), which would start the movie and not a download, per se. Then go to File>Save As, and the file is downloaded. This was successful.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Derek,
    It is the Pop Woodworking site. I have tried that, but will try again.

Thanks for responding.

You could also try a different browser. There's nothing says you can have only one. The only thing I've run into is different browsers all want to be the default. Pick one and tell the others to get in line .

Lowell,

If you'll send me an email, megan.fitzpatrick@fwmedia.com and let me know what you ordered, I'll get it to you right away (and look into whatever is causing the trouble with your downloads).

Megan, frankly, I have spoken to you about this stuff before, and how your tech support is useless and rude. I let my subscription lapse because of it.
    Paul

Paul, I'm sorry. I know it hasn't been good (I do my best to solve – without rudeness – any customer problems, and will continue to do so, but of course it would be far better were there none to solve). FWIW, we have a new CEO who is making making massive tech investments in the company as whole to address the ongoing issues we've had. PopWood's new site is slated for June; they're working out all the bugs first on a different property of the parent company. So I have my toes and fingers crossed that by this time 2017, the kinds of CS issues you've experienced will be but a bad memory.

The editor of PW is probably one of the harder editorial jobs in the magazine (not just woodworking) sector. Technical issues like downloading difficulties should be someone else's worries in the company.

Simon