Thread: Do you stare at your reflection????

Do you stare at your reflection????

Recently, my Dad stayed with me and we did some woodworking. He's very much a Norm Abrams type and I'm more handtool oriented. He brought a LV dovetail saw, and a couple planes that he said never "worked" right. It was while showing him how to start the saw without it grabbing and ripping wood that I realized the single most important thing I do with hand tools. I look at my reflection. More specifically, the reflection of my workpiece in the shiny part of the chisels and saws I use. I rely heavily on lining up the layout marks in my saws reflection so that the lines are straight and level. I do it also in the reflection of my mortise chisel as I chop a mortise.

Do do you guys do this as well?

Hi Mike,

I stare at the reflection of the lumber when using a hand saw. Helps keep things lined up.

Stew

I'm pretty sure they have medicine for that condition....

Blog Entries
    Yes, the reflections are useful for lining things up. It is also helpful to reflect the light to brighten the area around a line to register a chisel.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

This proves that Narcissus was a woodworker!!

Blog Entries
    Like Stew said, the reflection in the crosscut saw blade will be in line with the board when the saw is square to the board.
    Of course I use it.

I can still remember the words of my first on the job teacher. "I keep telling you to look at the saw." It took me a full two weeks to figure out that he was talking about the reflection. I learn slowly I guess.
    Jim

I taught shop,and I think he could have been clearer WHY you should look at the saw. Then,it wouldn't have taken you 2 weeks! After all,the school year doesn't last forever.

I find it so handy, that I had to mention it in case someone can benefit from the technique. My Dad certainly was able to benefit.

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    This proves that Narcissus was a woodworker!![
    /QUOTE]

George, that's a classic line! You are a true Renaissance man.

Ha Ha George. I said it was on job training. He was an old time carpenter and really didn't want to teach anyone. I did learn much from him. I just had to listen and watch. He worked hard and fast and didn't speak unless it was critizing, nothing mean just direct. He used to tell me I looked like a bear cub in boxing gloves when I was working. When that stopped I knew I had the task down.
    Jim

Blog Entries
    [QUOTE=Mike Cherry;2614804][QUOTE]It was while showing him how to start the saw without it grabbing and ripping wood that I realized the single most important thing I do with hand tools. I look at my reflection. More specifically, the reflection of my workpiece in the shiny part of the chisels and saws I use. I rely heavily on lining up the layout marks in my saws reflection so that the lines are straight and level. I do it also in the reflection of my mortise chisel as I chop a mortise.

Mike, thanks for sharing this useful insight - finally, a practical reason why shiny saw plates are cool!

Now I no longer have to explain that my shiny saw plates are due to OCD and vanity!! I feel much better about myself.

Cheers, Mike

Your love for saws is different than most, my dear friend! We need to get together again soon! I got a couple books that belong to you