Thread: A question of which

A question of which

Here sooner I'll be selling a piece or two and I should get about $100 all and all. I've decided to put this money to either a scrub plane or a combination plane. I do quite a bit of roughing work(given that my resources are mainly fell trees) but I also do joinery and moulding work fairly often. I don't know which one to go with or which brand/model. Suggestions are welcome.
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

if
    i were you,I'd just get a wooden coffin shaped smooth plane. Get 2 blades for it. Grind one to a curved shape for a scrub plane. Leave the other straight for a normal smoother. You will not be able to leave a real tight throat opening if you're using it part time as a scrub plane. But,it will work just fine. I did this many years ago when I was in Williamsburg,and working in public with only 18th. C. tools. I saw an old guy at the Mariner's Museum in Newport News,Va.,who had gotten a wooden smoother,and was using it as a scrub plane,too.

But,for much less than your $100.00,you could just get 2 coffin smoothers(or a wooden jack plane for the scrub plane). That way you wouldn't have to widen the throat of your one and only plane so it could double as a scrub.
    Last edited by george wilson; 10-18-2016 at 9:47 AM.

I find that smoother are too short in front of the blade. If I scrub quickly a board I have to be very careful that the front of the plane remains on the board otherwise I knock my fingers on the board.

For many years I was using an old no. 4 as a scrub plane and I solved the problem with building a wooden one about the lenght of a no.5. Nothing very precise is required for that kind of plane.IMG_7380.jpg

Blog Entries
    For me an old beat up #5-1/4 makes a great scrub plane. Mine came from a bad ebay deal. When you get lemons, make lemonade. There are cracks on either side of the mouth and the lateral lever is broken. For scrub work, none of that matters.

Many have used an old #5 to make a scrub plane. I have even used a #6 as a scrub.

As to a combination plane, it depends on how much combination you are looking to acquire.

My Stanley #50 is a great little plow plane that can do some beading work. For some uses it is more convenient being easier to set up and use than a Stanley #45.

The Stanley #45 is a bit more capable especially if you can get some of the special cutters for fluting and reeding.

The Stanley #55 is a bit of a monster to get working, but with a full standard blade set it can do a lot of shaping along with the plowing and beading.

Otherwise the Lee Valley plow plane looks to be a great modern day combination plane for rabbeting, plowing and some beading work. I haven't had a chance to put one through the paces of yet but am looking forward to soon.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 10-18-2016 at 12:29 PM. Reason: added: Many have used an old #5
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    it depends on how much combination you are looking to acquire.
    Out of a combination plane I would like to be able to do plowing, tongue and groove work, maybe beading, and rabbeting would be extra but not a requirement. I'll look at that #50 you mentioned.
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

Blog Entries
    [
    QUOTE=Jim Koepke;2614918]For me an old beat up #5-1/4 makes a great scrub plane. Mine came from a bad ebay deal. When you get lemons, make lemonade. There are cracks on either side of the mouth and the lateral lever is broken. For scrub work, none of that matters.

Many have used an old #5 to make a scrub plane. I have even used a #6 as a scrub.

As to a combination plane, it depends on how much combination you are looking to acquire.

My Stanley #50 is a great little plow plane that can do some beading work. For some uses it is more convenient being easier to set up and use than a Stanley #45.

The Stanley #45 is a bit more capable especially if you can get some of the special cutters for fluting and reeding.

The Stanley #55 is a bit of a monster to get working, but with a full standard blade set it can do a lot of shaping along with the plowing and beading.

Otherwise the Lee Valley plow plane looks to be a great modern day combination plane for rabbeting, plowing and some beading work. I haven't had a chance to put one through the paces of yet but am looking forward to soon.

jtk
    [/QUOTE]

Jim, it's great to see you back here on the creek! Take care of yourself- no BS!

Brent, +1 to Jim's comments. IMHO the tasks you mentioned, flattening rough sawn lumber and joinery/moldings require two different planes. I'm not exactly sure if that's your question. If it is, Jim's suggestions about using a #5 as a scrub and considering the Stanley 45, 50, 55 or the Lee Valley plow plane for moldings makes a lot of sense.

Personally, the tool purchases I've regretted the most are when I have tried to use one tool for 2 separate tasks, neither of which the tool is ideally suited for. On those occasions I hear my Dad's voice "get the right tool for the job and you'll never be disappointed". The older I get, the smarter he was.

Cheers, Mike