Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Building Federal Style Table Part 4 – Oval Thistle Inlay

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Glad to see that crotch mahogany veneer is still available from Constantine's. In 1970,when I made the large harpsichord(not the spinet in the movie),I ordered some from them. I got several exceedingly dark reddish brown sheeets of mahogany crotch. Looks like Cuban! I still have several left over sheets of it. It went into the panels on the bent side,cheek,and name board of the harpsichord.

George,

On my best day, going downhill, with a tail wind I could never come close to the work you've done. I always read your posts with great interest. I'm waiting for you to write a book – let me know where I sign up for prepublication purchase!

I believe in Japan the best of the best toolmakers/woodworkers are recognized as national treasures. You are clearly the equivalent that here on SMC. Thanks for sharing your experience, expertise and knowledge.

Have a great weekend!

Best, Mike

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty Schlosser View Post
    Mike,
    Thank you ever so much for sharing this with us. I was so excited after seeing #5, that I went back to review how you did those lovely inlays!
    I just ordered Stevens book and am looking forward to learning from it and this thread before attempting something as challenging as what you've done here.

Congrats and again, thanks for your openness. It is helping me out by encouraging me to attempt such interesting work.

Marty, you made my day!

I admire you for giving marquetry a try. Steven's book is really great for really clear "how to" instruction. At least for me, I found his techniques and direction a lot easier to understand than some of the others I've seen.

I look forward to seeing your work – you can do it!

Cheers, Mike