Thread: Alternative to Festool Anti Static hose for Domino or Sander???

Alternative to Festool Anti Static hose for Domino or Sander???

Has anyone tried this hose from Flexaust? If so What fittings do I need to use with it for Festool 27mm (Domino) or Bosch ROS? It seems ideal in that it is light weight, anti static, smooth wall and industrial duty. Not to mention it is 25' so you could split the cost with a friend and make two sets.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S4D40JM...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I recently ordered the Bosch 35mm hose for this. But it just feels too bulky and heavy for this application.

James
    Last edited by James White; 10-18-2016 at 7:51 PM.

You can go ahead and try it but it sounds like a horrible idea to me, particularly for the Domino. The Bosch VAC005 with a Festool 36mm end is near perfect as is a Festool 36mm hose. The standard VAC005 is OK. The hose mentioned with any kind of end should be awful.
    Last edited by Greg R Bradley; 10-18-2016 at 10:15 PM.

Dewalt DWV9120 adapter ($12 on amazon) fits nicely on my Festool sander and both Dominos. The other end I fit on a a 1.5" Ridgid hose that has a small end. Works perfect and costs a fraction of Festool.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg R Bradley View Post
    You can go ahead and try it but it sounds like a horrible idea to me, particularly for the Domino. The Bosch VAC005 with a Festool 36mm end is near perfect as is a Festool 36mm hose. The standard VAC005 is OK. The hose mentioned with any kind of end should be awful.
    Greg,

Could you elaborate on why this would be "horrible" and "Awful".

Here is what festool gets $160 for.

http://www.festoolproducts.com/acces...x-16-5-ft.html

Here is an offering from Mirka. But it is not anti static nor is it near the quality.

https://mirka-online.com/min6519411-...omise%20Policy

James
    Last edited by James White; 10-19-2016 at 10:50 AM.

27mm Festool hose is really on the small side for a Domino. The Bosch hose you have works better. A Domino can put out a bunch of material quickly. A big chunk of chips & dust in a couple seconds followed by nothing. The Bosch 35mm hose is more compliant and easier to deal with than the Festool 27mm anti-static hose. It's hard to beat the Bosch hose for a Domino and they are almost free, currently $20.96 on Amazon Prime.

The sanders are completely different, with a small amount of dust over a long period of time. Anti-static can become important for that use and 27mm is plenty big.

Those smooth inner wall hoses like you linked really have a mind of their own and will be pulling your Domino out of alignment. They are nice for long hoses for a cleanup vac. We use one on a Milwaukee 3 Stage 55 gal Vac.

Blog Entries
    I use the bosch vac005 myself.

Quote Originally Posted by James White View Post

Here is an offering from Mirka. But it is not anti static nor is it near the quality.
    I use the Mirka hose with my Ceros/Deros, just more convenient... the hose I received also came with a screw on adapter that'll fit Festool ports. Might also note that it is listed as anti static. It also tapers down to 27mm only at the end the bulk of the hose is in the range of 35mm or so. Fits both my Fein and Festool vacs.

It is not quite as flexible as Festool but some compromise is acceptable at the price point, since I use both brands it doesn't really matter to me.

mirka hose.JPG

Tom,

Nice catch! That makes the Mirka hose quite a bargain. Could you tell me how long the reduced diameter section is? Is it long enough to act as a whip?

I guess I am having a hard time going from the one in the left photo to the one on the right. The one on the left is also from Bosch and is a little less than 7/8" ID. It has worked fine for both the Domino and the sander. All the Domino holes I have done to date where clear of chips other than some minor dust in the bottom of the hole. But the light duty hose has several holes in it from rubbing and other hazards of the shop. It is also not antistatic and for sanding that is a small issue as I like to drape the hose over my neck. I have a sample on the way from Flexaust. The 1" hose is supposed to have a bend radius of 2.5" so I imagine it cant be all that stiff.

James
    Attached Images Attached Images

James,
    It is partially the resistance to rotation that has caused me issue with the hose having a mind of it's own. Also, the ability to make a curve at a tight radius doesn't mean it curves easily, only that it will take a curve without kinking. A lot of the specs mean little compared to having a sample in your hand to play with. The small Domino in particular is easily tugged out of alignment.

Based on the comments above, I went and bought the Bosch hose. I have the 27mm Festool hose now. So far, the Bosch hose seems to work well. I'll have to use it some more to really tell. But the price was right, especially compared to the price of the Festool hose.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I'm almost certain the hoses all come from the same factory in Germany. Festool just charges a 400% markup on the green / black ones. That rubber fitting on the end certainly isn't proprietary.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    I'm almost certain the hoses all come from the same factory in Germany. Festool just charges a 400% markup on the green / black ones. That rubber fitting on the end certainly isn't proprietary.
    I know manufacturing and particularly injection molding and I can tell you that all the evidence supports the exact opposite. Different materials, different design, different design of the injection processes, etc. The 35mm Bosch VAC005 and the Festool 27mm non anti-static hose are about as completely different as they could be and still plug on to the same tool at the outboard end.