Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Table report and bench pics

Table report and bench pics

The boo boo in the table top was indeed a crack. In the middle of a very clean board. And after being finished for a couple months. Go figure...one of the hazards of working mesquite. Anyhoo, I put the 320G on the whole top, found ANOTHER crack that just hadn't broke through the lacquer yet, filled them with super glue...sanded while still wet...then sanded with clean paper until all that was cleaned up. Then I sprayed the top again. It's not anywhere near as shiny as it was, but that's probably good...because the top was the only part of the table (or anything else in the 'set') that WAS shiny. When I buff it tomorrow it'll bring up a bit of shine, but not anything like it was. All in all, probably worked out quite well.

Here's a couple pics of the bench (there's two) that I came up with. The trestle ends don't match the table, but I just couldn't come up with any other way to 'sread out' the bottom I was happy with. I like the design of the bench trestle though...and if somebody buys the table and I have to make LOML another one, I'll make the table with the same trestle design. Picture with the table is before the repair. I couldn't get a picture that showed the crack.

Looks like a real good save in the nick of time.

I absolutely love all of the pieces. I've never liked benches but I sure like that one! Love the legs and the overall design. Good luck at the show.

Honestly, the little flared legs on the benches work perfectly fine with the rest. They also provide a feeling of stability which is not often the case for benches used with tables. Great job!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

KC, your work is awesome, as usual.

I really like the table, chair, and the bench looks great as well!

Let us know how the show turns out.
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Very nice KC. You always show some fine work.
    Glad your cracks came out ok.

That bench is AWESOME. Really a great combination of forms.

The whole set is stunning KC - a wonderful example of true craftsmanship. I go along with the others - the bench is great......the flared legs definitely bring it up several notches from the norm. Anyone would proud to own that piece!

Looks fabulous there KC! A great save in very short time. Good luck with your show!
    Corey

Excellent work on the dining set, and beautiful wood to boot. Hope the show goes well, and no more surprises.

Dan
    Eternity is an awfully long time, especially toward the end.

-Woody Allen-

Critiques on works posted are always welcome

Kirk, do you think the Mesquite was not quite dry enough or is it just the nature of the beast. I ask because I am soon going to embark on a Mesquite bedroom set for LOML. I'm just trying to get prepared for what lies ahead. I am also going to try my own mesquite veneer. That ought to be interesting.
    Enjoy the journey,

Martin

---------------
    Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable --- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy --- think about such things. --- Paul of Tarsus

I love the look of the mesquite, and the design and workmanship are first class. Simply beautiful!

KC, Fantastic!!!!!!!! As I said before, I really liked that table, but I absolutely can't wait to see a table done with the Trestle to match that bench. That bench is another piece that just jumps right out at me and says "Take Me Home".

Sure wish I could make the "Mesquite Festival" and see all of them in person, but unfortunately, I have to be in Dallas for a few days during that time. I hope the Show has a good turnout this year with lots of Buyers, (with Money to Spend), and you get Lots of orders.
    "Some Mistakes provide Too many Learning Opportunities to Make only Once".

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Lutz
    Kirk, do you think the Mesquite was not quite dry enough or is it just the nature of the beast. I ask because I am soon going to embark on a Mesquite bedroom set for LOML. I'm just trying to get prepared for what lies ahead. I am also going to try my own mesquite veneer. That ought to be interesting.
    I don't remember having any concerns about the material during glue-up...and I can usually tell when something is 'too wet'. I've had cracks show up after milling, but usually catch them before finishing...fhis is the first time (that I know of!) where it's happened 'later'.

Thanks for all the positive comments on the benches...I was worried about how those were gonna be received.

KC

KC, I think it's great that you recovered so well and so quickly. I've always worried about cracks reappearing over time after such a repair because of the stresses that caused the crack in the first place. How does the CA hold up over time? Sorry for the ignorance....kinda new with working with that stuff
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson