Thread: Stripping siekens cetol marine varnish

Stripping siekens cetol marine varnish

I tried asking for Cetol Marine stripping advice on the boat building forum ... and didn't get much of a response.
    The 'net' is ... after 'googling' and reading several posts on different sites ... use a heat gun.
    I applied 6 or 8 coats to our front door in 2004. After about a year it started to mildew ... and the LOL would clean-it off.
    The mildew got excessive during our wet, Texas, spring ... and the Cetol absorbed the mildew. Stripping-it-off with the heat-gun and a 1 1/2" putty knife went pretty-well pretty well along the stiles and rails. I filed knives for the raised panel cove and the 1/4-round bead. That got the job mostly done ... it was majorly more difficult to keep the knife conforming to the shape and still keep the heat-gun 'applied'. I was leary about applying the heat in the glass area and struggled that out with 4 applications of stripper. The process did leave a residue of the finish in the grain. I've managed to do a reasonable clean-up of the flat areas with a belt sander and ROS. I've searched thru the Klingspor catalog looking for some kind of sanding-mop that I could use for the cove and 1/4 round. So please ... if anyone knows of a 'mop' ... or some successful technique ... please advise.
    FrontDoor.JPG

West Central Alberta, East of the Rockies - West of the Rest
    The only suggestion I can make is to call Sikkens customer service for advice.