Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Record 043 Plough Plane.

Blog Entries
    The fence on my plane took on the characteristics of Derek's, maybe because I copied his. It works.

Derek,

Thanks for the link. Your article has helped answer several of my questions.

Hi Lowell and Ray .. pleased to be of some help.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    The Shakers used to say that beauty lies in function. Mine happens to be a Record 44 and while it works very well, by it's nature of escapement, you get a good set of wooden bracelets by the time your groove it cut.

Having used both the Record 43 and LV plows, I find the LV to be much easier to manage and way more comfortable to use. This comes at a high price though: the LV costs more than double of what 43's go for. For a limited use tool that's a big difference for comfort.

Mike, a plough plane is not a "limited use tool" for most hand tool users. Certainly not for me. I agree with your reasons for preferring it over the #043. The #043 is a nice little plough but not in the same league as the Veritas. When you look at it as a purchase to be used over many year, the extra cost (if you can afford it) is really negligible. And this does not take into account the possible use as a rebate plane (it does a very good job), tongue-and-grooved plane (Ok, it can be a little fussy to set up, but it works very well) or a beading plane (lots of promise there).

Regards from Perth

Derek

Stewie, I bought a Record 43 a few months back, haven't used it yet. Can you explain what you mean by the 1/8" deep V shaped rebate?

thanks, Mark

Mark; the V formed is based on 2 angles. An extension of the bed line that intersects at a 90* line, measured from the front of the mouth (+ 1/8") for additional clearance. A 1/8" depth of rebate will accommodate the widest of 3 blades supplied, 1/8", 3/16", and 1/4". The manufacturers recommendation is to use a 35* flat primary bevel. In operation, the 043 plane works best when the cutting edge is finely set just below the bottom edge of the skate. Hope this info helps.

Note; the 1/8" depth of rebate allows the auxiliary fence to be pushed tightly against the side face of the skate with the widest 1/4" blade fitted. This aids working a rebate that commences from the outside edge of the board being worked.

regards Stewie;

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 10-22-2016 at 10:32 PM.

Yep, I see what it is. Thank you.

Blog Entries
    I added the rebate to my plow fence and it does clear the shavings quite well. Thanks for the tip.

good to hear Lowell.