Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Record 043 Plough Plane.

Record 043 Plough Plane.

Purchased this (pre 1964) Record 043 back in April 2010. Supplied by the manufacturer with 3 blade widths, 1/8, 3/16, & 1/4".
    Its primary function is for cutting grooves. Can be worked against the grain. Not ideal for cross grain dado's. Best used with a fine set below the bottom line of the skate. As with most Plough Planes, your start at the forward end of the board, and work your way back as you deepen the cut.

Stewie;

Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 10-19-2016 at 3:48 AM.

If you have ever tried to use the 043 without an auxiliary fence you would understand its a nightmare trying to balance the plane while keeping the fence tight against the work piece.

The auxiliary fence fitted is 25 x 30mm. I chose to use a softwood over a hardwood in order to better balance the weight felt on the outboard side of the plane. The extra thickness provides for improved registration of the fingers of the left hand on the underside of the fence. That extra thickness also allowed me to use longer 1/2" round head screws to better draw the auxiliary fence tight against it primary. With the extra thickness provided I also have plenty of scope in the future to resurface the inside face of the auxiliary fence as wear from being rubbed tightly against the edge off the work piece takes it toll.

The extra depth provided by the auxiliary fence provides a deeper registration against the work piece.

It may not show clearly within the attached photos, but a 1/8" deep V shaped rebate has been added which follows the bed line of the blade. This prevents the shavings from getting caught if the rebate is started at the very edge of the work piece.

regards Stewie;

Blog Entries
    I immediately added a fence to my Lee Valley small plough. I didn't make the fence as wide as Stewie. The V shaped rebate is a good idea. I will add it to my plane.

FWIW, the small plough is delightful to use. (that is a gloat)

Lowell; my small plough plane cost me us$56.00. How much did yours cost.

Stewie;

I also have a Record 043 and added a fence as shown. I've been happy with it's performance.

That's good to hear Jim.

Stewie;

Blog Entries
    IIRC, mine was $76.00

Actually it was $275...
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 10-19-2016 at 5:25 PM.

I'm curious what benefit the 043 offers compared to Record's 044, Lee Valley's small plow that was inspired by the 044, and other other plow/combination planes? The photos I've seen of it in use look kind of awkward for average to large adult hands.

Blog Entries
    I don't wrap all my fingers around the tote of my Lee Valley. Just thumb and fore finger with other three fingers lightly touching the board below the iron. It is a different plane to use than a smoother. All of the strokes are light taking very thin shavings.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 10-19-2016 at 6:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    I'm curious what benefit the 043 offers compared to Record's 044, Lee Valley's small plow that was inspired by the 044, and other other plow/combination planes? The photos I've seen of it in use look kind of awkward for average to large adult hands.
    Bill; I would suggest the LV looks more like the butt ugly Record 044c. http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/record044cmanual.pdf

Record 044. http://www.record-plane-reviews.co.u...ane-no-044.php
    Last edited by Stewie Simpson; 10-19-2016 at 6:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewie Simpson View Post
    Bill; I would suggest the LV it looks more like the butt ugly Record 044c. http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/record044cmanual.pdf
    I won't argue aesthetics; I was more interested in function. The 043 looks like something that would give me finger cramps.

Bill; I have decent sized mitts, and I find the thicker dimensioned auxiliary fence helps.

Blog Entries
    Stewie,

That Record is an ugly plane, I see no resemblance. But, since when is a plane supposed to be beautiful?

The beauty comes if it does what it is supposed to. I find the Lee Valley plane is clean looking, but ???

Bill, if you grip the plane hard enough to cramp your fingers, you would be doing it wrong.

I find that plowing a groove is accomplished by light relaxed strokes. I find my thumb just touching the
    handle on the near side, with the fore finger laying along side the other side. and left hand holding the fence against the wood. I'm not gripping anything that would cause finger cramps. If you suffer hand problems, that might be different. Actually, the plane is pushed by the palm of the right hand with the thumb and fingers along side.
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 10-19-2016 at 8:09 PM.

I prefer a deeper but thinner subfence. I do not see the point of making it thick - this simply reduces some of the rod length. The ideal subfence for me is like the one on my Small Plow ..

The one on my Rapier #043 has less depth, mainly because it is used for smaller pieces. The #043 was used for the curved rebate which I added to the drawer bottom below ...

Incidentally, I have two sets of rods for my #043, one short and one long. The short rods plus the thinner fence reduces the mass and increases feedback.

For those interested, I wrote a comparison of the #043, #044 and Small Plow here about a decade ago. Reading through the article, there are helpful tips for setting up the fence of the #043.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 10-20-2016 at 8:05 AM.

You have been a busy bee Derek.

Stewie;