Thread: Help me spend my money :)

Help me spend my money :)

So the woodworking budget has a little surplus and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it. Figured some help from the experts was in order. I'm thinking that a new plane is in order, because planes are fun, but don't want to get something that overlaps with something i've got already. I'm pretty new to the neanderthal rabbit hole, but have been collecting the tools for a few years as I slowly work on skills. I pretty much got into woodworking to build some things for my house, and quickly realized that I don't like loud noises, dust and plywood, so I started trying to do more and more with handtools, basically buying a tool here and there when I needed it for a certain task. Now I've got all the "have to do" projects out of the way and can start doing more things that are "want to do". First up is going to be a nice workbench. I am leaning towards a split top roubo, but I'm not completely sold on it yet, Nicholson keeps calling my name and bringing me back to his design.

Alright, so here are the planes that I currently have, any help filling in gaps that you see would be awesome.

Bench Planes:
    LN No. 4
    vintage stanley No. 5
    LV BU jointer
    LV low angle block plane

Other planes:
    LV router plane
    LN large shoulder plane
    LV small plow plane with all the goodies
    LV skew rabbet plane

Am I missing something big? Here is where I'm thinking of going, getting something like a LN BU jack plane and a few blades, adding a bigger camber to my vintage stanley no. 5 to use as more of a rough tool, or instead of the BU jack, getting a 5 1/2 and doing the same to my vintage stanley.

I've also thought about getting a big No. 8, because, well, why not, bigger is better right?

There doesn't seem to be a joinery plane that I can see myself needing, that new Walke Moore router plane is damn sexy though.

Anything helpful would be appreciated, thanks folks.

Describe your saw and chisel arsenal.

Your plane set is comprehensive. You have prep, smoothing, and joinery all covered, with great planes in each category.

Before you get a #8, or something else that's 'sexy', I'd make sure you have (this order works for me, not everyone): a carcass crosscut saw, bench chisels, a fine detail cross cut saw, mortise chisels, a rip saw.

And on the chisels, I wouldn't get a set. I have a set, but reach for certain ones all the time. You seem not to mind spending on good quality, so just buy individuals as you need them.
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 10-19-2016 at 9:50 AM.

I've got a set of 4 stanley sweetheart chisels (1/4, 1/2, 3/4, 1 inch) and the six piece narex mortise chisel set. I think i'm going to add two bevel edge chisels to the arsenal, a 3/8 (probably a LN) and a wide chisel, 1.5-2 inch. Saws, i've got a LV dovetail, then the LN tapered carcass (crosscut) and tenon (rip). I do not have any traditional panel/hand saws currently, but have two vintage saws in pieces that I might be able to rehab that came from my grandfathers tool kit. Then need some work, and the saw plates have some bend to them, that I'm not sure about. I did just recently get a japanese ryoba saw as well.

Pretty complete set. In my shop the #6 is the most used. U gave a LN BU Jack which I think I could get by without. Nice for dressing up dovetails on large carcases or drawers, though.

A high angle frog for your #4 might be a consideration.

FWIW (probably none of my business either) but my philosophy on buying new tools is I have to justify it so I wait until a project dictates.

Thanks for the tips Robert. I sort of agree with your philosophy, but sometimes it's just nice to get a fun new tool . I'm starting to realize that I am pretty well set, and would probably be better off just putting the money available into projects. There are a few little things here and there that I could use, but I tend to do things the way it seems you do, buying a tool when the project justify's it.

If you don't know yourself, I'd recommend buying some wood and working it until you have a need for a given tool.

Edit: What good advice we can give also depends a lot on what kind of work you enjoy / want to do. For example, if you enjoy shaping and such, I might suggest a spokeshave, or even a drawknife. Likewise if you want to do any chair making. How about carving bowls or spoons? A gouge. How about drilling? I enjoy a vintage egg-beater drill and a brace, which I find more controllable and precise. I even use a little hatchet on occasion, for both green and dry wood.

You can also have fun making your own tools, if you're so inclined; planes, bow saws, spokeshaves, mallets, marking knives and gauges, awls. All good fun.
    Last edited by Luke Dupont; 10-19-2016 at 11:39 AM.

The two planes I use the most are the 4 1/2 size, got a few, Clifton, LN, Bedrock.... and the little shoulder plane....my favorite is the Clifton 410. Most shoulders I work with are small, 1/4 or 5/16 so dont use the large shoulder plane much. So if it was me I would get those two sizes to add to you arsenal.

And yes, if you have slid down the rabbit hole is only a matter of time before you get the 8.

Blog Entries
    What do you have for drilling?

The needs for different types of boring equipment depends on what projects you want to tackle. A good set of auger bits and a few braces is a good all around starting point. If you will be using wood screws at all you may want either a set of twist bits or a few of the special bits that drill the pilot, shaft and countersink all in one operation.

What is your sharpening system?

There is always squares and marking tools to consider.

I love spending other people's money.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

All good advise, and the reason I posted here. I'm pretty well set. I've kind of used the list from Anarchist Tool chest as my guide of what to get and I think that I've got a majority of the stuff I need in that book, other than a couple missing chisels, and maybe a cabinet scraper. I might be lacking in the boring equipment. I've got a brace, but no auger bits. Trying to decide if getting a vintage set or just picking up new wood owl bits in sizes I need. I don't have an eggbeater and will probably pick one up when I come across one, but have a cordless that meets my needs as of now. I'm not ready to completely cut the cord. I've currently got a benchtop planer that isn't going anywhere for thicknessing boards, but I think that I'm going to eschew the jointer in favor of flattening by hand. I am also trying to pick out a bandsaw that will basically handle my rough cutting needs. So I'm not going full on hand tool, but outside of dimensioning will try and be as electricity free as possible.

If you are going to get a BU jack, I'd suggest staying with LV since the blades will interchange. Any interest in hollows & rounds, molding planes, beaders, etc? What about dado & dovetail planes. Do you have a fence for your BU jointer?. Take a look a Chris Vesper's tools and Dave Jeske's stuff at Blue Spruce. I have a pair of his long, thin paring chisels and they are wonderful. If you are of the minimalist mind set, and only buy tools you have to have, then I like the advice to buy wood. OTOH, if you don't mind a little luxury, then pick up a tool(s) that you drool over. Grab LV's shooting plane and some tracks for the finest in shooting experience. What about the "other" handed version of your skew rabbit or plow plane? Skew block plane pair? What about Benchcrafted's hardware for that split top Roubo? Alternatively, a Lake Erie screw & nut paired with Jim Ritter's chain for leg vises (what I've got.) Auriou rasps will be in your sights someday soon.

JMO & YMWV

Blog Entries
    My two most used planes are a #3 Bailey and a bevel up smoother.
    I have 604, 605, 607 Bedrocks as well. The 605 sees action and when needed the 607 does it's job.

I have a bevel up Jack that often is used rather than the 607.
    My bevel up planes are Lee Valley planes
    Last edited by lowell holmes; 10-19-2016 at 5:37 PM.

I know this may not be too sexy but if you're planning to build a workbench (with any kind of laminated top) then maybe stock up on some/several nice clamps if you don't already have plenty. You know what they say…you can never have too many clamps.

Are you totally happy with your sharpening setup?

To me, it seems as though you have plenty of fine and useful planes as it is.

Are you totally happy with your sharpening setup?
    That's where I would be focusing my attention.

Hmmm...

If you have some expendable income and just want a fun tool, I'd recommend getting a spoke-shave!

A card scraper is also a necessity, and very cheap. Go ahead and pick one up!

And, while not exciting in any way, a good set of gimlets can be very handy when you're just making a single hole here or there.

You can also spend tons of money on vintage tools or stones. Ebay can be quite a fun way to empty your wallet! (and/or find really good deals!)

Like I said earlier though, a lot of what you will enjoy depends on the kind of work you do! For me, I enjoy small projects and shaping and carving, so my criteria for "fun" or "useful" might be different from yours.

I've never had a bandsaw at my disposal, and likely never will, but that sounds like the most practical investment as far as dimensioning lumber goes!

If it helps any, as a beginner, I focus on widening my toolset, as opposed to buying tools with a function that other tools already cover. So, rather than, say, buying more planes, I'd get something that gives me a new capability that isn't covered by my current tool-set unless I find something specifically lacking.
    Last edited by Luke Dupont; 10-19-2016 at 10:22 PM.