Thread: Window Sash Bit with Inverted Ogee?

Window Sash Bit with Inverted Ogee?

I have to make a few interior doors with divided lights, including a pair of arched French doors, which should be a great project. I'd like match the existing door details as much as possible. Those doors have a mullion profile I've never seen before:

All the window sash bits I've seen have a bead at the top and cove at the bottom, near the glass. This profile is the opposite, a cove at the top and a bead where it meets the glass. I could make the required profile by using a combination of router bits, but then I'm left with how to cope the ends where the mullions and muntins intersect. It would just be a lot easier if I could find a bit that has the correct, or at least directionally correct, profile. Does anyone know anyone makes such a bit? I know I can get a set custom ground but that won't come cheap.

I don't have a shaper, so it has to be a router bit(s).

Thanks,

John

I've seen something close. One problem with it is the slightest uneven surface sanding makes the the center flat uneven in width. That profile is more work than most because there is no flat in the center for a bearing. I would push the idea that the special feature of the arched tops merits its own profile distinct from the other doors or sash.

Carb-i-tool provincial pattern. A part no. is TCR 8B 1/2 but they have several variations in diameter etc. www .carbitool.com.au. Cheers

Wayne, that bit does have the correct shape, but it's a profile bit, not a reversible window sash bit, or set, meaning it can't be used to cope the ends of the mullions. Close, but no cigar. Thanks for trying; I appreciate the effort.

John

Sorry, John, I didn't realise you wanted a reversible set. If all else fails, do it the old way where you mitre the moulding and mortise and tenon or half lap the rest of it. I had to do this on my current project as the new doors had to match an old profile. Cheers

Thanks Wayne. I may just have to do as you suggest. Are those bits you linked to available in the US?

John

John, I phoned them. They don't distribute in the USA but will do a one off credit card sale over the phone and post it to you if you want to go that way. I spoke to Russell at Carbitool on +61 3 9555 2966. Cheers

Thanks for your efforts, Wayne. Turns out I found a bit at Grizzly that has the same basic profile and should work if I go that route. And thanks for mentioning this approach. I was focused on finding a window sash bit and hadn't thought about using a buildup of parts and mitered corners, even though I've used that approach in the past.

John
    Last edited by John TenEyck; 10-20-2016 at 9:17 PM.

OK, I figured it out. This Grizzly router bit has just about the exact profile I need:

The cove and bead appear to have the same radius so cope and stick cuts should result in a good fit. And they do:

I'll show you how I create the rest of the mullion profile and assemble it in the door when I get that far. At this point, I'm just happy I found a bit that will give a near perfect match to the existing doors.

John

Good news John. Cheers