Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Replacement VFD

Replacement VFD

Has anyone had any experance with Huan Yang VFD? My G0766 VFD(Delta VFD022M21A) bit the dust amd I am thinking about Huan Yang 3kw 4 HP on Ebay for $ 139,99. Is 4 hp too much?

2. Have you had your G0766 less than a year? If so, it is under warranty still. Have you talked with tech support at Grizzly to identify the issue? Your report here is the first of any failure I have heard about, and I am wondering if diagnostics were done on it, or tech support gave you any idea why it might have failed?

Checking ebay, I see they have the same VFD-M inverter that is on your G0766 at prices ranging from $279 to $420 new in box. seems to be cheaper than getting one from Grizzly.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

One issue to consider, but I do not know if it relates to the 766, is whether the stock VFD had some significant programming to have it operate as you expect. This doesn't mean you couldn't get the lathe to work, it just might not work the same way unless you reverse engineer the programming of the VFD.

As for the Huan Yang and other Chinese drives that populate eBay I have avoided them. The long term tested VFDs like Teco are not that much more expensive and I have read too many horror stories, that said a lot of people are happy with them.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

My G0766 warranty expired July (I posted on grizzly green machine group about the cF3 code and Grizzly) Grizzly said MCU(or CPU)failled told me to contact Delta for repair or look on internet for repair, after contacting repair company they told me would be cheaper to replace VFD.

Quote Originally Posted by William McAnelly View Post
    My G0766 warranty expired July (I posted on grizzly green machine group about the cF3 code and Grizzly) Grizzly said MCU(or CPU)failled told me to contact Delta for repair or look on internet for repair, after contacting repair company they told me would be cheaper to replace VFD.
    Did you see the post I put in about cF3 had new definition? Possibly something simpler than original over/under voltage?

"A new code was entered in the manual - cF3 - Hardware Overheating - Make sure that the temperature of NTC(Negative Temperature Coefficient) is lower than 109°c after the power is turned on. This appears on page 5 of the manual."
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

Quote Originally Posted by William McAnelly View Post
    With taking a chance on a newly released lathe you would think being just out of warranty Griz would have helped you out. Maybe call another CS rep.?
    Last edited by Mike Goetzke; 10-20-2016 at 8:31 AM.

[QUOTE=Van Huskey;2615300The long term tested VFDs like Teco are not that much more expensive and I have read too many horror stories, that said a lot of people are happy with them.[/QUOTE] +1
    I've bought several from dealerselectric.com,
    2 HP, 230 Volts, IP 20, Teco, FM50-202-C
    MODEL #: FM50-202-C
    $156
    If you go that way, PM me and I'll help you program it. It's fairly easy, you just have to set up the starting speed, top speed and how fast you want it to start up. The rest of the stuff just leave it as it is. Wiring is straight forward as well, 3 big wires to the motor and light gauge wire for the controls, since they are only around 24 volts, most likely you can use your same controls. Good luck with the direction you go.
    Last edited by Josh Bowman; 10-19-2016 at 6:26 PM.

Huanyang are the cheapest of the cheap and one thing that they don't have is a rotary speed controller, or 99% of them don't. I eventually went to Powtran for the all the VFD's I was supplying and over the years we had very few failures, maybe two and one was used every day all day. If I was to recommend any Chinese brand it would be the Powtran. It is a way more versatile unit than any other VFD and that includes the best of them and I get direct factory support from China as does every customer. I have sold about 100 4kw units over the years.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

William,

How did you have the VFD connected? I assume its hooked into a single phase 220-240 circuit.
    That VFD is rated for 3 HP with 3 phase input (http://www.deltaacdrives.com/delta-vfd022m21a/)
    I've got one.

But it looks like the Grizzly is a 3 HP 3 ph motor.
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/22-x...campaign=zPage

A VFD with single phase input must be derated by at least 33%. So it realistically puts out only 2 HP.
    But if you drive the motor hard, its asking for 3 hp and hence demanding more power than the VFD is capable of.

So that sizing is marginal at best.

While I can completely understand that you may be turned off of the brand, this seems more like a (mis)sizing issue.
    I.e. the VFD should be larger.

For my part, I have a shop full of Delta brand VFD's, all used and off the boat from China. So far not one failure, despite driving them very hard.
    However, all are overrated by at least 50%, so there is spare capacity. Ex. my 5 hp lathe motor runs off a 10 hp VFD etc.

IMO you want a 3.7 kw (5 hp) VFD intended for 1 and 3 phase input. The Delta are about $300 delivered off eBay.
    One thing that sold me on the brand is that they have very good instruction manuals - so hook up is easy.

Hope that helps.

William, the replacement Delta VFD for your G0766 is model VFD22M21A. As Roger says, you can find a new one online for way less than through Grizzly. I think you'd be safer to stay with that particular drive, rather than start from scratch trying to make something else work. The Delta VFD-M series is well respected.

If factory-new, the drive will come with the parameters pre-set with Delta's factory default values. Grizzly makes changes to certain of the parameters, as do other equipment vendors. You would need to make those same changes in order to replicate the Grizzly programming. But that would not be a big deal. In fact, there are a few settings that you may even want to tweak while you're at it.

If you go that route, I can send you the parameter settings Grizzly ships the G0766 with. At least what they shipped my G0766 with, and the six others I've examined. The Delta manual for the M-series is available online from Delta's Taiwan website, as is the software that will allow you to make the programming changes and setup with your laptop without having to use the on-board digital keypad (tedious). You'd also need to order a telecommunications interface to connect your pc to the telecom port on the drive.

Programming is where the Powtran drives I was using have an advantage over others. The program can be loaded into the keyboard after the VFD is programmed and then if the drive dies the keyboard put into the new drive and loaded into the VFD itself. The keyboard can be used for transferring a program from one drive to another and the drive can hold 10 separate profiles for different uses. I have suggested to them that making it network accessible would simplify things so it can be programmed from an app on a PC or tablet. The factory could even access it to sort problems as well.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

WOW. Have been on the verge of ordering this lathe. If Grizzly is having that much trouble supporting our friend here, I guess I should kind of back off and wait a little longer. Hope this gets resolved for you soon.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Gary Baler View Post
    WOW. Have been on the verge of ordering this lathe. If Grizzly is having that much trouble supporting our friend here, I guess I should kind of back off and wait a little longer. Hope this gets resolved for you soon.
    The lathe came with a warranty period of one year, which, in his case has expired. I do not see how one can legitimately say Grizzly is not supporting the customer. Parts are available, and tech will walk the owner through the repair. As with any automobile company, when the warranty has expired, repairs are paid for by the customer.

The OP's VFD issue is the first one I have heard about in all those sold. I have heard of Powermatic and Jet lathes which have required VFD replacement. One not too long ago on the WC forum was reported. It can happen to any make, so look at the entire body of owners experiences....over 99% have good performance with their G0766 units.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I am not a fan of the Grizzly lathes for reasons I have previously stated in other threads, though I think highly of the other Grizzly machines I own. But, Roger is correct regarding the warranty and customer service of Grizzly. They are doing what they have said they would do in their warranty and I have always found their customer service to be excellent. The VFD is the same as used on many lathes and problems are rare. There are multiple options to replace the VFD.

Okay, I know it's a stretch and maybe a dumb question, but some credit cards extend warranty for items purchased with their card. Not sure if a home-use lathe would be an "excluded" item.