Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Doing Well ... Then the Bad News

So,how is the use of your leg,Jim? Many times they foul up the leg that the blood vessels are taken from. Hope yours is o.k..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    So,how is the use of your leg,Jim? Many times they foul up the leg that the blood vessels are taken from. Hope yours is o.k..
    Other than a bit of itching at the scar it seems to be doing fine.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

End of the Oregon Trail in Oregon City, Oregon
    I'm glad to hear you're healing, but sorry that it's going to take so long before you can get back to woodworking. Absence will make the heart go fonder, so you'll probably love woodworking even more when you can resume the activity. There sure are a lot of reading/viewing materials that you can enjoy, or, as my brother Terry suggested, maybe you can create some good stuff for others to read/view.
    Take it easy, Jim!

Glad to hear your leg is o.k.. Some guys are gimping around forever after having blood vessels removed. Maybe the surgery has gotten better by now. Mine was before I was 57.

Hi Jim,
    I join with everyone else to wish you well and a quick recovery. But, something that has not been mentioned should be considered. I have gone through two significant health issues since April, I was able to keep working during Chemo and surgery until September. This past Monday I returned to work and at best I can work a half day. I do not have a physical job but am outside on my feet. The problems I have are arm strength and stamina. If I knew then what I know now I would have insisted on better Physical therapy to keep my upper body/arm strength. Do your best to do what you can to maintain your strength. But, don't overdue it. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Gordon, for good advice I intend to follow.

Yesterday the doctor told me after November 2nd I can start sleeping on my side again and forgo the chest binder. Currently my limit of arm exertion is about 10 pounds. After the 2nd it will be permissible to slowly work my way up to 35 pounds over three months. After that there will be no restrictions.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Hello Jim,

Bummer! I too was stuck with the no fun rule for 3 months. Tried to make the best of it with some reading and a bit of design work. Read Silas Kopf's book on marquetry.

Hope the recovery continues to go well.

C

Blog Entries
    Thanks Christopher

jtk

I had the choice of wrist for laparoscopic surgery, groin, or to crack it open (they said "get a zipper "). I chose the wrist. Though in the middle of things when you first find out *just* how clogged the artery is, that IV drip of nitro is mighty nice. Before you're 40, like I was (actually was 36!) you get plenty of future time to do it right if you make it to the ER in time. Nowadays I'm at least more aware of what's going on and hopefully don't need to go the route you guys have.

Get well, take it easy, and if you feel bored enough, forget reading a book...write one!

Hi Jim,

Happy to hear the good news, and can relate to the bad....car wreck a couple of years ago laid me low for a while. Will have to continue to pray for you.

Stew

Blog Entries
    Thanks Glen and Stew, I appreciate the feelings and the prayers.

jtk

Catch up on reading

Jim it sounds like a good time to catch up on your reading. You could even write some more forum posts for us.
    Take it easy. Best wishes.

Eric

Blog Entries
    I have been out of town, getting set up at our new location, missed this post. Great to have you back! You can make longer posts and read, as others suggested. There are also some good videos out there. You can plan projects. I acquired a backlog of projects when I had some issues that caused me to back off from heavy work.