Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Doing Well ... Then the Bad News

Blog Entries

Doing Well ... Then the Bad News

Went to the doctor today and all is going well.

Then she hit me with not doing woodworking for about three months after my sternum is heals. This is due to all the other stuff in the area also putting itself back together.

Bummer!

No beating a froe into a log to split it.

I think I may be able to do some carving as that won't require as much exertion. Maybe I can rig up a carving bench.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

BTDT....just sit back and relax for a while.....it took me 10 weeks just to get allowed back into my factory job.. Got three SS wires holding things together in there. They even got mad when I was walking a couple MILES a day. It even tooka few weeks for the leg to regain it's normal white colour. Before that, it would have made a Tulip Poplar board jealous of all the colours.

Just relax for awhile. Takes a little bit longer for us Olde Phartes to heal back up, than those youngsters out there.

BTW...I think I went back to work way too soon.....lots of stuff I found I just couldn't do...took almost a year to fully recover.

When I read your title, I was afraid you were going to share some real bad news. In the grand scheme of things, I would not worry too much about the lack of woodworking and find some other way to enjoy your 3 months. Hope you get back to 100% soon!

I am glad you're on the mend. That froe will want you to be healthy.
    BTW, I like your new avatar.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Jim,

In the short rows of those doctor orders myself. It's tough to find things to do at first but after a month or so you'll find small shop projects you can do with no pain. It's not building furniture but some the things can be useful. BTW, it passes reasonably quickly.

ken

Please take it slow Jim. Do other WW tasks like taking an inventory of your tools, drawing up a few projects to build later, ordering/reading back issues of WW magazines from CD, reading a book or two from Lost Arts Press (while sitting in your shop), cleaning/maintaining your hand tools, planning mods to your shop like where and how to place more shelving, shopping for MORE used tools, write a few WW blog entries, etc.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

NOOOO! I hate that you can't do much woodworking. Well, yeah, you can do quite a bit of carving. That's how I got good at carving, healing from spine surgery. Nice to hear you're ok!
    I was once a woodworker, I still am I'm just saying that I once was.

Chop your own wood, it will warm you twice. -Henry Ford

I'm with Frd on this one, as there's plenty of ww related tasks other than rippin' and joinin'!. How about also considering taking a course on SketchUp or some other CAD related program?

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Please take it slow Jim. Do other WW tasks like taking an inventory of your tools, drawing up a few projects to build later, ordering/reading back issues of WW magazines from CD, reading a book or two from Lost Arts Press (while sitting in your shop), cleaning/maintaining your hand tools, planning mods to your shop like where and how to place more shelving, shopping for MORE used tools, write a few WW blog entries, etc.

Fred
    Marty Schlosser
    Kingston, ON, Canada
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/apexwoodworks/
    Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ApexWoodworksFurniture/
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkmbvXb44CJ9t17SbHEWxJg/videos

They cracked my sternum too,Jim. But,after it heals it will be stronger than ever.

Where did they get your new blood vessels from? Since I'm large,they got mine from inside my chest. So much more fortunate than getting them from the leg.

IIRC< I made my set of textura quadratta letter stamps while healing from open heart. Just small filing involved to make them. And,a bit of fairly light whacking with a small hammer. No one told me NOT TO!!!
    Last edited by george wilson; 10-20-2016 at 8:36 AM.

Hi Jim, It is nice to know you are doing better. Having some experiences along these lines, my advice is simply this. Do what they ask during your rehab. Their programs are set up for averages so everyone is different. I tried to follow the rules and did as instructed. I found that it went quicker than was predicted. If you just sit and wait to heal it takes longer. I don't expect you to do that but people that do so are included in the averages. There are lots of things you can do just look for them. It is hard to keep a hard worker down. Good luck on your rehab.
    Jim

Jim, take it easy.
    You have a wealth of wood working knowledge that you could share by writing and posting on SMC. It shouldn't tax the area of your wound and
    I'm selfish enough to wish to learn.
    Give it a shot!!

Take care and best wishes.
    Terry

Blog Entries
    Thanks all for the kind words and good advice.

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    They cracked my sternum too,Jim. But,after it heals it will be stronger than ever.

Where did they get your new blood vessels from? Since I'm large,they got mine from inside my chest. So much more fortunate than getting them from the leg.

IIRC< I made my set of textura quadratta letter stamps while healing from open heart. Just small filing involved to make them. And,a bit of fairly light whacking with a small hammer. No one told me NOT TO!!!
    George, they took them from my right leg. The ugly bruise is starting to fade.

I have been thinking of disassembling some of my planes to give them a fresh coat of paint.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 10-20-2016 at 10:59 AM. Reason: have been thinking
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    If faced with your dilemma I might place a stool by the workbench and piddle, not do woodwork. A cushion on the stool would help.

Have a speedy recovery.

Not such bad news, better than the alternative.

Take it easy, Jim. Don't do anything silly. The time will pass.

Regards from Perth

Derek