Thread: Building a lathe stand options

Building a lathe stand options

I would like to build a stand for a Midi lathe with two bed extensions.

I was thinking about an 8' long boxed beam setting on two MDF pedestals or building some wooden legs.

For the box beam I originally was thinking 3/4" Plywood but I realized I could also box with 2" x 10" lumber.

Is there any precedent or better way to do this? I'd like to use the lathe to turn 4" x 4" porch columns.

Similar to your idea. It has 100# of gravel in each leg. It has served me well for 4-1/2 years. Only drawback of this style is that it holds a lot of shavings. Not really a problem.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Brian, your pedestals look good but I was leaning to a beam over a bench top since I'll have a longer span with the multiple bed extensions.

You comment about shavings makes me think maybe I should use a pair of 2" x 10" joists with blocks in between but positioned under the mounting points. I'd have a basically open structure that should easily span 8' or even 10' and chips would largely drop through.

My only question is lateral loads from spinning 4" x 4" x 6' posts. I don't think joists normally support lateral loading so that may drive me back to a "box" beam.

From a structural standpoint, I think you'd be fine if you used lateral bracing between your joists, run them from the top of one joist to the bottom of the other in an "X" pattern.

Brian your shop is way too clean, man. Nice setup.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

If your 2x10s are green, they're likely to deform as they dry. I'd use something dry, like plywood.

You might look into a torsion box design for the top.

Michael

Quote Originally Posted by brian zawatsky View Post
    Brian your shop is way too clean, man. Nice setup.
    It never looked like that again from the moment I turned on the lathe.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Don't use a diving board like I did!

Check out the Jet mini VS on the 2x12 between two pieces of a Little Giant ladder in the A-frame configuration. You kinda get used to the bounce.

Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 10-20-2016 at 6:24 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

You might also check out a used solid exterior door. Some of the Habitat stores or similar often have them at a very good price compared to new lumber and the doors are 2" thick. You can easily cut down to size you want. The pedestals can be pulled in some from the ends and still end up with a solid top. Additionally, those doors are heavy and often more mass than the 2x10 material.