Thread: Objects in the catalog may be larger than they appear

Objects in the catalog may be larger than they appear

Yes, I know the instructions say, "Use a lift or forklift with at least 2 people helping." After an hour or so I got it as far as "inside the garage, gently lying on its side." Lesson learned. No harm done. I think I'll wait until my son and his friends come over tonight.

I could pick up my Delta Midi and spin it on my little finger easier than I could even set this thing upright when it flipped over. No, I do not have a picture documenting my errors.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Shipping weight said it was HEAVY I bet you like it after it gets set up.

My brother and I setup my g0800 by taking the headstock, tail stock and tool rest off. From there we were able to lift up the bed onto the legs. Don't risk your backs and take it apart.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Yes, I know the instructions say, "Use a lift or forklift with at least 2 people helping." After an hour or so I got it as far as "inside the garage, gently lying on its side." Lesson learned. No harm done. I think I'll wait until my son and his friends come over tonight.

I could pick up my Delta Midi and spin it on my little finger easier than I could even set this thing upright when it flipped over. No, I do not have a picture documenting my errors.
    If you can get some metal pipes, lay them down and roll the whole thing into the garage.
    You have a wooden board underneigth and might just need a bar to push it along.
    and go slow

One person can move a few thousand pounds that way.

We didn't have pipes for this move: http://www.olafvogel.com/atw-router-lathe.html
    But just bolted 4x4's on the bottom and dragged it. That sucker was about 3000 #s.

BTW - congrats!
    Last edited by Olaf Vogel; 10-20-2016 at 5:42 PM.

Furniture dollies are also really handy. The 1000lb ones from HF in particular.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/materia...g/dollies.html
    You can use the hoist to pick things up onto these, then roll them into place closer then use the hoist again for the final placement. A bit easier than trying to roll the hoist (which works ok in a straight line.. but not over anything to complicated).

And yes definitely take it apart..

My two sons and I set mine up mostly them. We took everything off the bed and reassembled it one piece at a time. You are really going to enjoy once it's up and running. Post some pictures once it's set up.

Well all of the guys were here today, but my son with an engineering brain helped lift it in place and under control.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

No shavings yet?

9. Wish I could be there when you turn your first project, after using your Delta midi......the difference will be profound, and it will take weeks for that big grin to fade from your face!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Nice HEAVY lathe. You should really enjoy it. When I got my full size lathe I set my midi aside for a long time. However now I use it for small things even though I could do them on the full size. But if I had a G0800 I may have never used my midi again.

Congrats
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Congratulations. I think you will be more than satisfied with your lathe.
    I have the Laguna 2436, it's twin. Having used it heavily for over 15 months no complaints. Love the +800lbs! Rock solid.

Been reading about this machine and the Laguna. Looks like a very nice lathe, know you will enjoy it. Give us a update after you give it a spin.

Wow and Congrats Brian! I can`t wait to see what you turn on this Monster. The grin won`t wear off for at least a month.
    I may not have it all together, but together we have it all.