Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Road Trips

Did a road trip a couple months back from SoCal to Idaho, Montana and Wyoming. Visited friends, saw Bryce canyon, Yellowstone, and a lot of other places. 2700 miles altogether.

In the last 6 years we did several others, including two three week road trips, going to Chicago to the start of Route 66, and then doing the whole thing on the old roads, staying in the old motels, eating at local diners, etc. Did those trips in our Mustang convertible.

When the kids were young, we used to take a lot of long road trip with our RV trailer. Kids have been just about everywhere. Longest trip was 68 days, without staying more than a few at anyplace.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 10-22-2016 at 2:29 AM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Lots of road trips..........before 2001 and now. Every 12 weeks, I travel from MI to KY to see grandkids,that's (7) hours. In the 70's I drove w/a buddy to Pomona, CA for the "Winternational" Drag races,twice.That's about a (40) hour non-stop run. There were bits of route 66 still open back then. Yes, I've stood on a corner in Winslow, AZ .......I've made runs as far south as Georgia (11-12) hours to pick up cars and motorcycles. I don't care much for flying, bothers my ears and no glide ratio to speak of.
    Always ready for a road trip,
    Mac

I find road trips much more relaxing than flying, especially during the holiday season.

I make a big road trip from Minneapolis to Reno every September. My friends and I drive the 2,000 miles in under 36 hours typically. This year I believe it took us exactly 48 hours to get there which I think is the longest it has ever taken us.

Flying would be faster, but then you're stuck in a tiny seat not able to move. We bring all kinds of stuff with us so flying would be difficult. Some in the group will fly out and we haul their stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    I find road trips much more relaxing than flying, especially during the holiday season.
    Over the past few years, I've come to feel the same way. I have a very comfortable vehicle (Grand Cherokee Summit), 4000+ tunes on my iPhone and adaptive cruise control. Driving isn't nearly as tiring as the "hurry up and wait" that air travel brings these days and for my work travel, driving means I don't have to "run the gauntlet" for approvals like I do to fly. So if it's within an 8 hour drive...I drive.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Any long distance, I'd prefer to fly and rent a car at the destination. But we've done some shorter drives, especially from our home in Orange County CA to San Luis Obispo - and that's maybe four hours.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    I would prefer to drive. See more and be able to stop when and where I want to.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

So far this year: Drove to Savannah GA for St Patricks Day, Flew to New Orleans, got stranded and had to drive home (19 hours straight thru,) to daughters in WV in July, IWF in Atlanta in August. Maybe another trip to daughters in WV before end of year. Next weekend wife and I are planning on going SOMEWHERE, just not sure where yet. Past three weeks have driven over a thousand mile back and forth to State Fair. Three more trips tomorrow to bring it all home. Most expensive trip (almost $2000) this year was 28 mile ride with rescue squad.

Going from Michigan to FT Payne Alabama in a few weeks to see family.
    Alan Miller

Just finished an east to west trip 12,850 kms. Ontario to BC and back with some visits(granddaughters and son in Vancouver, daughter in Edmonton) and sightseeing along the way. We spent 6 weeks on the road in our Roadtrek and boondocked most of the time, of the 23 nights we spent in transit on the road we only camped for 4 nights. The rest of the time in some very neat places from rest areas to National Forests, great trip.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Just a little past the "Best Before" date.

Did a week long "Northern Neck" Va tour a month ago.Good thing we were in wifeys hot rod Subey.I left some dang nice antiques there.

BUT,that isn't the reason for post.Last week we spent a few days in Williamsburg.On the way we stopped at Berkley plantation so we could visit the site of our first Thanksgiving.There is a beautiful sign as you start down their classic driveway.Basically telling you to SLOW DOWN ( my emphasis,theirs was hand painted 18th c. font).The point wasn't about riipin up the pea gravel drive.They're sporting millions in JD tractors,we can fix the drive.No their point was to view it at a horse N carriage pace.

Got back, yesterday evening, from a nearly 7000 mile road trip throughout the West, visiting at least 8 National Parks. The farthest away from our Northwest home was Big Bend NP in Southwest Texas (beautiful place). Our Subaru Forester did a magnificent job, fully loaded and with a rocket box on top. It climbed lots of mountains and crossed many deserts.
    Bracken's Pond Woodworks[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

I travel a lot and have driven to/through 47 of the 48 CONUS states and driven in 49 of them. 27 in the last 6 months. I like to drive and prefer to drive if I can get there in less than a day, I will do 2 day road trips but my wife prefers to fly so I tend to fly on vacation (though we often drive a fair bit while on vacation) and drive for work.

My favorite way to do a road trip is start with plenty of time and a set budget, and just drive with no intended destination when 2/3rds of the budget is exhausted head back in the direction of home. My wife isn't a huge fan of these before we leave but she usually hates turning around. Its the type of vacation you see things you never would otherwise, I mean how many people have actually stopped to find out what "The Thing" is while driving from El Paso to Phoenix on I-10? One time years ago we ended up at Burning Man.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Over the past few years, I've come to feel the same way. I have a very comfortable vehicle (Grand Cherokee Summit), 4000+ tunes on my iPhone and adaptive cruise control. Driving isn't nearly as tiring as the "hurry up and wait" that air travel brings these days and for my work travel, driving means I don't have to "run the gauntlet" for approvals like I do to fly. So if it's within an 8 hour drive...I drive.

I can't agree with you more.
    Rich

"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
    - General George Patton Jr

Blog Entries
    Ever the contrarian, I hate road trips. The idea of driving eight hours to get somewhere is akin to wishing for someone to drill a hole in my head. Give me an International flight any day.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"