Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Road Trips

Road Trips

How many of you go on road trips these days? Rod Sheridan's journey from Virginia back to Toronto made me ponder people seem to drive longer distances than before 2001. About six hours is a break even point for me on a plane vs car decision. My next road trip takes us from Kentucky to Kansas for Thanksgiving. Where are all of you headed? Do you prefer to drive, fly, take a train, or a boat?

I am staying home. No planned road trips until at least March 2017.

We were drove to Yellowstone in May, California in June, Minnesota-Illinois-Kansas-Wyoming in July, flew to Ireland in Sept-Oct.. We got back on Tuesday Oct.4 and my wife left the following Friday for 4 days in central Washington. She got back the following Monday and left by plane 8 days later for California and Phoenix. She'll be gone 3 weeks.

I have had it for traveling this year! We were invited to Christmas in other places but even the wife is ready to stay home.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 10-20-2016 at 6:13 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Rich
    Interesting thread you started. I travel by plane almost every week and end up in a rental car and hotels. When I take time off I have very little desire to get back on a plane and would rather drive, if at all possible. I really enjoy the ride, the freedom, low stress, and sight seeing. I like it even more when I'm on my motorcycle. My next trip is next weekend. I have no idea where I'm going but going to meet up with my brother and ride for a long weekend, Kentucky to who knows.

Rich I ride my Motorcycle most everywhere. I've been back and forth across the country many times. I've rode thru 40 States 4 Canadian Provinces and Mexico. 2 Wheels is the way to see the country.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Rich I ride my Motorcycle most everywhere. I've been back and forth across the country many times. I've rode thru 40 States 4 Canadian Provinces and Mexico. 2 Wheels is the way to see the country.
    Bert, my 86 year old father shares your sentiment. The old jarhead simply won't stop riding, but at least he now has a trike.

I don't like flying. Driving relaxes me. Planning to drive from central PA to Myrtle Beach & back the week before Thanksgiving. My road trips are generally short 2 hour jaunts. In December we will travel to the Christkind Markt in Mifflinburg, PA. Around 2 hours each way. A very enjoyable town and they shut down several blocks of town and bring in craftsmen to make Christmas items. Each of the few hundred has a small three sided shed. A woodturner, glass ornament blowing, wood carver, warm spice wine, etc. It reminds me of when I was a little tyke and folks went down town just to see the dept store windows and walk up and down greeting neighbors and drinking hot chocolate, cider etc. Kind of starts the Christmas magic for me.

These days I fly for work most of the time but we still do contract work where a 14 hour drive to get there is required and we still haven't left the state. In years past I used to drive everywhere from contract to contract and would rack up 100,000km a year. The cars took a hiding with the main hazards being kangaroos and cockatoos. Road trips anywhere in Australia other than the eastern coastline are long stretches of isolation with few signs of human habitation. I developed the habit of pulling over to sleep with the car pointed in the direction I needed to keep going. This was after once when I was falling asleep at the wheel so stopped in a side road. Woke up at 3am to keep going but turned the wrong way onto the highway. Drove for 3 hours before I found my mistake.... and yes, that was the first road sign I came across! Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.

A bit abnormal for me lately but I was in West Virginia two weeks ago for the National Trailfest ATV event on the Hatfield McCoy Rockhouse Trail System. It was about a 6 hour drive to Gilbert WV and it took about 9.5 hours to get back home because a Hurricane off the coast brought torrential rains and plenty of wind so the drive back was miserable. Shortly I will be returning to WV to ride the Hatfield McCoy Trails once again, this time the Pocahontas Trail in Bramwell.

Tomorrow I will be in Suffolk Virginia for a sign makers event at Somerton Ridge Hardwoods. Its only a couple hours from home but I rarely go more than an hour from the shop.

A 12-hr trip to the Outer Banks is a yearly thing for us. This year we were stopped 4 hrs from the destination by the minor issue of the hurricane flooding the roads but I'll probably try again in a few weeks.

Blog Entries
    I've got a trip planned to South Dakota to chase some pheasants. We also will be going to New Jersey later this year.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

No road trips planned . . . sigh. I love road trips as long as I don't have to be "anywhere" at a specific time. For a weekend jaunt my max drive time is 5 hours. Every couple of years I do an 8.5 hour drive to Mexico Beach, Florida, and back for a 4 day trip. Having said all of that, I think I've taken maybe 3 long weekend vacations in about 20 years. With the exception of the week of Thanksgiving, there is a trade show I need to attend every week of November. Two in Florida, one in Vegas, and I think the other one is in Charlotte. I will probably miss all of them because we just landed a large contract for parts that are totally new to us, and my production manager leaves on 10/25 for two weeks in Hawaii. My partner gets to go to the shows, and I get to hold down the fort.

“Life is not so short but that there is always time enough for courtesy and chivalry.” —Ralph Waldo Emerson

Everybody knows what to do with the devil but them that has him. My Grandmother
    I had a guardian angel at one time, but my little devil got him drunk, tattooed, and left him penniless at a strip club. I have not had another angel assigned to me yet.
    I didn't change my mind, my mind changed me.
    Bella Terra

Our family vacations over the past few years, with one exception where we flew, have been "road trips". And I drive to the DC area multiple times per month for business as well as occasional runs to Parkersburg WV. I used to fly a lot more, but with increased security, even with TSA-Pre, it's often almost the same time to drive it these days.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Anything much over a 12 hour drive I prefer to fly.
    Last year I flew to Denver Co. rented a 4x4 truck and drove to Casper Wyoming. I loved driving in Wyoming, 80 mph speed limit on the interstate, roads as straight as an arrow and very little traffic.

Road trip but 6 hours drive time a day is my max. Longer if I have to.

I would like someday to take a road trip following U.S. Highway 50 coast to coast. Ocean City, Maryland to Sacramento, California.
    The backbone of America
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 10-21-2016 at 10:15 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Lehnert View Post
    Road trip but 6 hours drive time a day is my max. Longer if I have to.

I would like someday to take a road trip following U.S. Highway 50 coast to coast. Ocean City, Maryland to Sacramento, California.
    The backbone of America
    Dave, let me know when you get to Cincinnati on that trip. The call Highway 50 "the loneliest highway in America" out West.