Thread: Are these tool rests sufficient?

Are these tool rests sufficient?

Good evening folks!

Does anyone have these tool rests? Are they sufficient for a beginner turning spindles? My lathe came with a 12" but I had a case last weekend where that was a bit too long for the work I wanted to do.

Thanks very much!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Check the diameter and length of the tool rests posts to be certain they match up with your lathe. Not just the width of the actual rest bar.

I have several tool rests that fit my banjo. Each of these rests have different lengths and shapes on the top bar. Each one has occasional use depending on what I am turning.

Got it. Thank you Robert.

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Fredrick,

I have several rests like that made from round bar. Some I made myself in a few minutes with the welder and some I bought (Best Wood Tools, beautiful craftsmanship) Some have smaller diameter posts for a Jet Mini and some have 1" posts for my bigger lathes.

I hate all of them.

The problem with big round rods for support is the actual point of support is moved away from the wood. For some purposes this is ok. I prefer to do spindle turning and smaller things but I do turn large bowls and platters. For some work, I want the tool rest and the actual point of support as close to the wood as possible.

My favorite rests to date are the Robust rests. I bought a set for my primary lathe and threw all the others in a box somewhere. The Robusts also use a round rod but it is a small diameter hardened rod on a support that lets it be positioned very close to the work as needed. Other very experienced turners that know I and trust have also gone to Robust rests, some exclusively.

Robust offers a 15" rest which is perfect for the 14" long spindles I often turn. I bought 4", 6", 9", and 15"

I like these so much that when I do demos and when I took a class I take a couple of Robust rests with me.

http://www.turnrobust.com/tool-rests/
    I bought all mine from Amazon just because. They are not cheap but I think worth it.

JKJ

Thanks John! That helps a great deal!
    I'll order a 6" or a 9" and try it out.

I appreciate it!
    Fred

I have several tool rests that came with my lathe. I only use the ones like the Robust with the tool edge next to the workpiece. The round rod style stays in the toolbox because it pushes the support point too far away from the wood. The Robust brand is a great tool rest. There are a few other brands with slightly rougher finishing for cheaper prices.

Steve

Thanks Steve!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Peterson View Post
    I have several tool rests that came with my lathe. I only use the ones like the Robust with the tool edge next to the workpiece. The round rod style stays in the toolbox because it pushes the support point too far away from the wood. The Robust brand is a great tool rest. There are a few other brands with slightly rougher finishing for cheaper prices.
    Steve
    I have a shop-made one someone gave me that would be real easy to make if one has a welder or has a friend with a welder. It works as well as the Robust but not as pretty. This would probably cost $1 to make depending on what scrap steel can be found and whether the welding cost anything. (It would be so quick I'd do it for free.) This particular one has a 1" shaft that fits many of the larger lathes.

The shaft is welded to the short side of a piece of angle iron about 4" long on this one. I think the angle iron is 1.5"x3" but it might be 2x3. (a section cut from a piece of round pipe could even look like a Robust if painted black.) A 4" piece of hardened 1/4" steel rod is epoxied to top edge of the longer side of the angle iron. The support edge of the rest can be positioned very close to the work.

If I can find a long hardened 1/4" rod I'd like to make one at least 30" long, supported by two banjos for those times when I make longer spindles.

JKJ

As was said, just make sure it fits your banjo! All the rest is personal preference.
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

Follow up

Well, I decided to make my own for now. I just felt "cheap" yesterday.

I cut a 40* angle on an 8" length of 2x4. Drilled a 3/4" hole and epoxied a small length of pipe into it. Then, I turned it over and flattened the pointy end of the angle until it was about 5/16" wide. I used a chisel and carefully made a 45* groove the length of that flat spot (against the forward edge of the future tool rest). Then I epoxied a 3/16" diameter rod into the 45* groove sort of like some of the better tool rests do. After it set, I sanded and shellaced it.

I used it. The steel rod works very well and the 40* angle gives me plenty of clearance.

I will get a better one some day. But sometimes it pleases me to make a tool myself, even if it's not something I'd give as a gift. it also makes me smarter about what I like and don't like so when I eventually buy a good one, it's exactly what I need/want.

Thanks for all your help and advice!
    Fred

I has some lengths of 5/8" rod and a stick of angle iron. Cut lengths of the rod, drilled and tapped one end and cut pieces of the angle iron and drilled a hole in it to bolt it to the end of the rod. Worked good enough that I finally welded it together. If I had bought it, my cost would have been about $10.