Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sliding table for bandsaw

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Hipp View Post
    I read your comment too fast and missed some points. Having read it slowly I see a number of things I can try. If I get up your way I will call ahead and maybe we can get together.
    Excellent! I have plenty of wood to cut up, and I keep several lathes at ready in case a woodturner accidentally drops by.

Oh, are you with the N AL Woodturners? Dave Stricker and I drove down for a weekend when Jimmy Clewes was there.

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 10-24-2016 at 8:08 PM. Reason: addendum

I am indeed with the North Alabama Woodturners. Shame you weren't here last weekend, we had Trent Bosch in for the weekend. On Friday he did a class and we turned a bowl and a small platter. Everybody enjoyed it and it gave me an opportunity to turn something for the first time since I moved in June of 2015. Only 8 of us in the class and there were 3 additional very good turners to offer advice. Really a great time. On Saturday Trent did a whole day of demos and it got good reviews. I was not able to attend. And I was there on Saturday for Jimmy Clewes. For a small club we get some really good turners to visit.
    I am off to Hiawassee GA for a few days next week, shame it isn't closer to Knoxville.
    Be well.

Processing green wood on bandsaw

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    ...As long as the diameter will fit on the saw (12") I do this or by hand: (or some variation since every log is different)
    I took some pictures while processing a sassafras chunk into turning blanks. In this case the diameter of the log was larger then the bandsaw capacity, but the LENGTH of the log section was short enough to fit on the bandsaw standing on the end. This is the 18" Rikon bandsaw.

Here I simply drew a line across one end and cut down the line. I then trimmed one side of each half to make a flat to put against the fence then cut it up into blanks. I got some nice 5"x5" and smaller turning squares from this chunk which I'll air dry. I have at least 30' more of that log to cut up! Most will probably end up as firewood...

processing_wood_.jpg

processing_wood_2.jpg

processing_wood_3.jpg

I'll try to take some more pictures when I make a few bowl blanks.

JKJ

Any chance of seeing pictures of your set-up?

Not sure whose setup you wanted to see, but here's the one I did for my new bandsaw after I got it. It's rudimentary, but it saves fingers on small logs. To adjust for larger ones, you have to unscrew the pipe supports. Eight screws (or is it just four?), no biggie. Those pipe saddles are no longer made so you might have to use some other fastening method. It handles up to 36" logs.

0928162006b.jpg