Thread: Grizzly G0800 vacuum adapter question

Grizzly G0800 vacuum adapter question

I am wondering what is my best bet for getting a vacuum chuck setup on my new lathe. I have an older oneway rotary adapter that I would like to reuse. The problem is from looking at the parts diagram that side of the spindle is not threaded and even if it was the handle seems to help hold things together unlike my old Jet 1442. I have a 3/4 left handed threaded adapter already in the oneway rotary adapter. Wondering if it makes sense to try and buy 3/4 left hand tap to thread the existing handle and then find a short nipple to hook the two together. Or should I just try and sell the adapter and buy one of the through vacuum adapters that a few vendors seem to make. Thanks!

I think that the threads would have to machine cut , you would never get them cut straight enough by hand. (or I could not anyway) I would lean towards a purpose build item.

3. Call JT turningtools, and know the inside diameter of the bore hole in your spindle.....he likely has one with O rings that will fit inside and work well.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I second what Roger suggests. Call Tom at JT, don't know if the 800 has a different bore than the 766-think that's the right number-what a lot of folks on this form have. Anyway Tom has an adapter for that lathe and perhaps it will fit the 800 as well. Tom will know, great guy to work with and very knowledgeable.

Thanks guys for the info. I just talked with Tom and took some measurements and pictures for him. He looking into it to see if his setup will work on this lathe. I'll post more details once I hear back. Thanks

6. According to the spec sheet on Grizzly's website, the spindle bore is .625". Which translates to 5/8". Which may be the same as the Robust AB spindle and the Oneway 2436, which he may have in stock.

Edit: I looked up the Oneway 2436, and it does have a 5/8" spindle bore. The Robust site does not give the spindle bore, but Tom makes the vac adaptors for Robust and will know that spec.
    Last edited by Roger Chandler; 10-21-2016 at 1:56 PM. Reason: typo
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

I talked with Tom for a bit this morning. While the diameter should be fine the handle is cross drilled right after the first o-ring on the adapter. The second issue is the handle bore is only about 1.2" deep before it meets the spindle bore and the spindle has a slight taper on it where they meet. That is right where the second o-ring is on the adapter. The thought is I could caulk in the two holes in the handle and that should be enough for it to work. He offered to take it back if it does not fit so as soon as I test that there are no hidden holes in the spindle I am going to place an order for it. Thanks for the help. I'll post an update as soon as I get it and have time to test. Thanks.