Thread: Curve/arch on bottom of dresser.

Curve/arch on bottom of dresser.

Hello,

I don't yet have a polished woodworking vocabulary. So I hope you can understand my question. I am looking to make accurate curves/arches on the bottom rail of my dresser. It is 3" wide so there should be room for it. I can't find any article or video or forum post that relates to this. Is there any easy way you guys know of, right now I'm thinking of hand drawing a template on some scrap plywood. Any suggestions are much appreciated! Thanks!!

Lofting. Pull out of your scrap pile a thin long piece of wood. It should be thick enough to want to stay straight, but thin enough that you can bend it to the curve you like. Put down on your workpiece, and bend it to the shape you like. Use clamps or weights to hold it there. Trace the curve on to the workpiece with a pencil. Cut to the line. Done.

Or you can make a template with this technique, and use a template-guided router to cut the workpiece. Useful for making multiple identical parts.

The lofting is often used but requires a good eye to avoid too straight look at each end. It is used on some expensive urban work but I never get used to those straight ends. My preference is to use one of the several segment formulas.

I usually use 1/4" to 1/2" cut offs to do what Mel/Jamie describe (didn't know it was called Lofting). Cut your template longer by a couple inches on each side, and drive long screws at appropriate points off the apron to hold the bow in place.

The longer your curve, the thicker the bow. Thin ones will bend preferentially at the center which exaggerates the issue Mel mentions. Thicker bow stock reduces this tendency.

Once you make the cut, save the cutoff. Cut it into sections to make 80 grit sanding blocks to fair the curve on the apron.

A rasp or spokeshave work well too. If spokeshaving, come 'down' each side to the center. Don't shave uphill.

"Lofting" is new to me ,too. Already used it twice!

Great thank you guys a lot! I am heading to do this technique now! Very helpful community here. I appreciate the help 😀