Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bit of an up-date on the bit box

Back to box making?

Got the lid blank out of the clamps today.....needed to scrub things flat...
    before.jpg
    As one part was a bit thicker. So, I happen to have a Stanley #4c...
    scrub jack.jpg
    Working across the grain. Used the lower level as a start point. Once it was all the smae height..
    smooth jack.jpg
    I rotated the lid 90 degrees, and a Junior Jack plane to smooth things out. BTW: I also added two new dog holes, as the others were getting a bit worn out.
    after.jpg
    Looks a bit better. The two planes made a mess of the bench, though..
    mess of shavings.jpg
    I had both faces to plane smooth. I also had one edge to clean up saw marks on. Slapped the lid onto the box...
    lid set up.jpg
    I need to add a few more hinges. I will work at removing the gap-osis and shop for latches. May have it ready for the Witch's Brew finish before much longer...
    May look around for a handle or two that I like, as well.

Blog Entries
    Hi Steven, You might look here for latches:

http://www.umx.info/cat/cigar-box-pu...tch-ct1-14.htm

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Ouch! I just looked at the price for those. $8.50 ea.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Price is $8.50 for a bag of 10 pieces. About five sets to a bag. $8.50 for what I'd need for latches.......might be doable...

Thank you!

I'll echo what Jim said, the 28 and 29 were special extra cutters...

I definitely also echo the fluting cutter thought. They came in enough sizes that you should be able to approximate the sizes of the bits within reason for your grooves, and that the grooves was a pretty good idea. The drilling of a deep hole straight in the end grain was kind of a long shot, yeah. Doable in side grain if a deep enough pilot is put into it on a drill press but nothing really trustworthy neander-way. At least, not with MY crappy skills

My largest is a #18. I passed on a #20 I found at an estate sale since they wanted something like $30 for the handful taped together when all I wanted was that 20.

It looks like it's shaping up nicely. I await the finished box to see if it influences my gumption a little, haha!

IF I ever do another one of these boxes...the Stanley 45 will get a lot of work.

Gap-osis between the pages. I clamped the box hinge side down ( after I had installed ALL the hinges) into the end vise. I started a handsaw in a gap, and sawed away the high spots that were causing the gaps. Added some "dust covers" on the ends of the lid..
    bit box.jpg
    Note also, I had drilled new dog holes. Center of the vise, and one in-line a ways into the bench. Others were getting a bit worn out. Might need bigger dogs (7/8"?)
    I also sanded, and plane things smooth. Rounded some corners. Will order a bag of latches maybe this weekend. Tested out a finish of BLO/Varnish
    test 2.jpg
    Might be a little too light? Stay tuned....

Used a plane to round over the front edges of the top lid..
    roundover.jpg
    Trying to blend that front corner away. Found the 100 grit sandpaper and sanded everything, inside and out..
    sanded smooth.jpg
    Then got down the "Honey Jar" with the BLO/Varnish mix. Found an old brush..
    backside.jpg
    The only place I didn't apply that SMELLY stuff was underneath the box. Everything, inside and out, got a first coat of the stuff.
    Need to get the hinges to the shop....
    frontside.jpg
    Seems to need a few. Will let the stuff cure out today, might have to stand it up like a book later. Rub the first coat smooth, and then add the second one. Maybe soon, I can fill it back up with about 20+ bits?

Added some hardware this morning..
    front view.jpg
    The corner brackets needed a few pilot holes, first..
    pilot holes.jpg
    Then a #1 sized screwdriver to drive a few TINY screws....
    screwdriver.jpg
    As for that chain? I used a few hook & eyes. Had to cut and reform the hooks a bit. Got out the old "Rod-buster" pliers from my days of tying rebars. Reground one hook, as it shares an eyelet with the hook below it.
    chain.jpg
    Have also sanded back the first coat, as it was a bit rougher than I liked. Will wander out today, and buy a new brush. Then I'll go with the redder Witch's Brew as a top coat. Outside only, leaving the insides a lighter colour.

I wonder how many folks think that using the "whirligig" gizmo to wrap iron with instead of using a good pair of long-handled Kliens with one handle bent into a crook and a wire reel?
    David

Have done it both ways....Still have the tools, wire...but someone else liked my reel better than I did...

Usually keep the wire and linesman pliers in the van, never know when they may be needed to repair something...while on the side of the roadway.