Thread: shellac under polyurethane

shellac under polyurethane

I'm relativly new to finishing but have had good success with spraying lacquer and shellac. My new project I'm doing is a QSWO kitchen table. I want to use watco oil and then seal it with a few coats of shellac, some glaze and then polyurethane. But it occured to me that maybe the shellac might react with hot plates and stuff that finds its way on kitchen tables. Can this happen with poly over top? If so any suggestions? Maybe skip the shellac and just use poly. I've been thinking about it and I have also thought about maybe waterbase poly or water base lacquer but i am not sure how durable they are. Any thougts and advise would be great thanks.

If you are spraying lacquer and shellac, you might want to expand to spraying some of the more durable kitchen grade finishes such as some form of catalysed lacquer or conversion varnish. The shellac could be a problem if you expect heat to be a problem, and regular oil based poly is apparently a PITA to spray because of the drying time.

I am still reluctant to use water borne finishes for durability concerns, though I expect that this is an area changing quickly. If I were going to go that direction I would look toward the pro-grade materials from such companies as Target and Fuhr. Homestead Finishing is one source. The Borg type finishes don't inspire me with confidence.

I have a oak kitchen table I finished with wipe on poly about 10 years ago and it looks perfect today. Even though we are neanders that actually cook every day and eat at least one meal a day from it. I has survived two little girls and all their art, misadventures and the like and has always cleaned up with ease. I think it would be hard to beat a good poly finish.

Just make sure to use dewaxed shellac or the poly probably wont stick. Don't know about the hot plate issue, but I've used BLO/shellac/poly on some end tables with good results. I often get water condensation from drinking glasses (even tho I'm using coasters) and the poly successfully blocks any rings or stains from developing in the underlying shellac.
    Use the fence Luke