Thread: help with this machine cabinet knob

help with this machine cabinet knob

I cannot understand why I can't open this .. the obvious thing to me is to turn the chrome knob to the right ..

It turns freely forever.. and nothing happens.

It doesn't pull or push that I can tell ..

Anyone know how to operate this thing ? Its driven me to near insanity .....

I'm guessing it's broken, I would proceed to removing the bolts.

Rick, I'd worry about scratching the panel when drilling. How about taking a piece of masonite and drilling so it fits over the allen bolt heads and the knob so if the drill bit slips you won't scratch the paint?

What's the door cover, the electrics?

It looks like a lock knob?
    Does it look like a key of some type (not a standard key) maybe a hex or similar shape that would allow the knob to operate the latch.

CW

How does it look inside the hole of the knob?

It's obvious. Turn the label clockwise and it unlocks the door, counterclockwise locks it.

But seriously what can you see in the hollow inside the tube? Screwhead? Can you slip a piece of plastic behind the door to lift the latch?

Its the door to the motor compartment on a table saw ..

Turns out its as simple as turn left to lock, turn right to unlock .. nothing inside the hole worth mentioning. Problem was that turning it right did nothing ..

I didn't really know what was on the other side of the door, so I decided if I tightened it snug to the left, perhaps it would then work when I turned it to the right ..

Anyway .. I broke it ..

End result, the lock is still engaged.. even now, I can't make it unlock.. but the lock is no longer attached to the door.

Honestly I was expecting a filing cabinet type lock on the other side. This looks expensive .

Well, you probably broke it the best way possible - looks like it's an interlock that would disable the saw when unlocked, so good thing it didn't break in the unlocked position