Thread: $1 Pickings?

$1 Pickings?

Barn Sale today......I spent a whopping $1 of my moldy money for two items...
    better view.jpg
    And, I even had to provide the file..
    There was an entire bay in the barn, filled with stack after stack of lumber......No room in my shop for it, not enough cash in the pocket

I turned down a saw till.....$25? It was simply a wooden box, with keepers inside to hold 5-6 saws. Hinges were broken, 2 saw shaped objects inside. One even had a black plastic handle. I passed it by.

Due to other happenings today, it was just this one sale. Season is about over for this year....?

If that black plastic handled saw had chrome plates on it, you just passed the Swedish version of a D-12. Even if the steel is better in the Sandvik #280, I like the balance of the D-12 better.

Nope, just a very plain plastic handle. The other saw in the box? Wood handled, WS medallion.....D-23 style saw....already have 3 of those.

I love those screwdrivers. They balance incredibly well and feel great in the hand.

Haven't found any markings on either of them. Not sure IF that bolt is the correct one, or not. Seems to match the threads.

Both were a bit on the dirty side, with more than a hint of rust. Scales have a thin coat of BLO on them, now.

These two MIGHT be worth the fifty cents each?

Hey Steven,

As some of us say here in my neck of the woods, "Ya did good!" (For what it's worth, in my neck of the woods there essentially aren't hardly any trees.)

When I sharpen a saw, I just hold a file in hand to even the teeth, and proceed carefully. Worth WELL OVER 50 cents each IMHO.

Stew

Although I believe that's a (lumberjack's big) crosscut saw filing tool, not a tool for shop-sized handsaws.

How do you know when you're in the neck part of a woods? Do woods also have big toes? Ears?

Neither of these two are all that big..
    length.jpg
    Screwdriver itself is less than 6" long..overall. I think the jointer MIGHT be 6" long.
    screwdriver and jointer.jpg
    Might find a use for them...

Bill,

That's a good question, and I never thought about it. Growing up in western Kansas, my aunts, uncles, and other older people, referred to our country around those parts as "our neck of the woods," even though "our neck of the woods" mostly only had trees along the creeks, shelter belts, around farmsteads, and in town, so I guess we really didn't even have woods. I have never thought to ask that question, but now all of that generation, just about, are gone, so there is no one left to ask.

My own assumption up to this point has been that woods only had necks, I guess. If they do have toes, they must be down south, maybe in south Texas. If, when my wife and I are visiting our older daughter and her husband and family, who live down there, and we hear folks talking about "our toe of the woods," we will know where the toe of the woods is. If I hear anything I will add to this post to let you know. (I have no intention of keeping such important information secret.)

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 10-23-2016 at 11:47 PM.