Thread: Some nice Aussie wood.

Some nice Aussie wood.

My sawmiller mate gave me a stick of Red New Guinea Wattle to make these for his dad. As the timber was a bit undersized they may look a bit unbalanced but that is one of the limitations of using Crushgrind® mechanisms with the thicker neck. I use black and white plastic spacers to identify the salt and pepper.
    Rgds,
    Richard.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I love the wood and the finish looks great! The shape looks fine to my eye Richard - they look just like salt and pepper shakers!

Is the wood naturally that color or did you add the color?

Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 10-23-2016 at 11:14 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Hi Fred, that is the natural colour. Its a nice honey tone and the finish is 90% gloss precatalysed lacquer, 2 coats applied with an air brush, photo taken under fluorescent lights.
    Rgds,
    Richard.

Richard

I really like those mills especially the shape and spacers. Great wood also!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Casey View Post
    My sawmiller mate gave me a stick of Red New Guinea Wattle to make these for his dad. As the timber was a bit undersized they may look a bit unbalanced but that is one of the limitations of using Crushgrind® mechanisms with the thicker neck. I use black and white plastic spacers to identify the salt and pepper.
    Rgds,
    Richard.
    I love the idea of the colored spacer! I might try this, or a slice of wood (or even a insert or knob at the top) the next time I make a set. So far, I've used dark and light woods - the set we use I made from cocobolo and dogwood.

Have you turned Flowering Dogwood? If it doesn't grow down under I need to send you some pieces!

JKJ

Very nice. Where do you get the spacers?

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I love the idea of the colored spacer! I might try this, or a slice of wood (or even a insert or knob at the top) the next time I make a set. So far, I've used dark and light woods - the set we use I made from cocobolo and dogwood.

Have you turned Flowering Dogwood? If it doesn't grow down under I need to send you some pieces!

JKJ
    John, you sent me a picture of those stunning grinders, but please save me a piece of that Dogwood, I still hope to visit your farm.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Scott View Post
    Very nice. Where do you get the spacers?
    Pat, I make them. I buy HDPE sheet offcuts from the local tank manufacturer, cut it into squares slightly bigger than the required diameter. As I use a set of TC tipped Forstner bits specially sized for Crushgrind® mechs, I use the bit for the top of the base to drill a hole in the plastic square, this then makes it fit the spiggot on the top piece. I then use a shop made male and female mandrel to hold the drilled out square plastic disc, and then turn it to the correct size.
    If that does not make sense, ask and I will do some photos.
    Rgds,
    Richard.