Thread: Bottom feeder recommendations

Bottom feeder recommendations

I'm in the market for a U flute gouge that will function well as a bottom feeder for bowls and platters. All my current bowl gouges are V flutes which I find are great on the outside of bowls but only so-so on the inside.

My go to gouge is a Oneway mastercut 5/8"V. I put a long Irish grind on it and I love how it cuts, it just doesn't stay sharp for very long. Takes a wicked keen edge though. I recently bought a Thompson 5/8 V from a fellow creeker but haven't had the chance to grind it and put it to the test yet. That's on my list for today.

So anyway, anyone have a favorite U flute you care to recommend?
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Thompson 1/2" U ground at 60* hands down for me.

Just slipping into the vortex of bowl turning and as my learning curve swings upward I am running out of excuses for snags, catches, tear outs, and 20" bowls ending up as 6" M&M dispensing dishes. I assume it's like golf-buy some new clubs and you will knock 8 strokes off your game. Seems logical to gain an understanding of gouge types, V patterns, grinds, etc. before investing in, and errantly grinding, high end tools. Any recommendations on reference material that describes tools, grinds, and techniques for neophyte bowl beginners? I have a stash of wood to work with and I now realise that a big part of the art is wood selection and how to analyze the grain, mounting location, and wood movement. I've learned a lot from this talented group here and look forward to learning more. All info is appreciated.

Well, I have several of them, and they all come in handy... I like the fluteless gouges from Doug Thompson. Very easy to roll over on the side and get a 70 or higher degree shear angle. Good for removing the thinnest whiskers of wood. I have a couple of different spindle/detain type gouges with very shallow flutes that work the same way, but till take off shavings about 1/8 inch wide or more if I have to pull off a bit extra. I have a couple of old gouges (HSS from Craft Supplies) that have a half circle flute shape, that work well also. All of mine are ground at 70 degrees. The 60 degree ones are fine, but I find the 70 degree ones a bit easier to use. Some go with 80 degrees.

robo hippy

I got a dedicated 3/4 bowl bottom gouge from Thompson a while back and find it basically useless. My suggestion would be to get a cheap 1/2" HSS gouge and grind it yourself. HSS cuts better than the fancy powdered metals anyway.

The fluteless gouge is good as is Mr. Gray's video on how to use it. Very handy tool. But if you're just starting out I'd say buy a high quality tool rest with a hardened bar instead, and just use your regular 1/2" scraper.

I have been mostly using my WoodRiver fingernail grind 5/8" and 1/2" bowl gouges. I've altered the grind by using a block of wood 5/8" thick in the Wolverine to help remove the heel a bit more. This seems to work pretty well, for me on the insides of bowls. If I need to, I use a NRS or regular scraper to help smooth out the bottom.
    Maker of Fine Kindling, and small metal chips on the floor.
    Embellishments to the Stars - or wannabees.

I'm using a Hurricane 1/2" or 5/8" bowl gouge ground at 80 degrees as a "bottom feeder". It doesn't work on sides, but it is very good for the bottoms and the transition to the sides. It sometimes grabs if there is too much overhang. But it is pretty controllable with minimal overhang.

I guess that it works for me.

I use a Thompson 3/8 U ground at some where between 75° and 80° but only for the most difficult woods or types of bowls. I use the Michelsen Vector Grinding Jig which for most pieces allows the Thompson Vs to transition from the sides to the bottom of a bowl without problem. Thompson's fluteless gouge is another excellent choice for bowl bottom problems.

I love our D-Way 1/2 inch bottom feeder, it's parabolic/elliptical rather then U. But it works and works well.
    Making sawdust mostly, sometimes I get something else, but that is more by accident then design.

Bob, I am trying to figure out why you are having problems with that BOB tool. I have a similar one, and it is not my go to tool, but it is useful. 70 degree bevel, a little sweep to the nose, so more ) shape and not straight across, and I roll it up on the side.

robo hippy

About 3 years back I bought the Thompson 3/4"U and 24" handle to get to bottom of a large bowl when using a straight tool rest since the 5/8" tools were too far off the tool rest. That worked a lot better, but then I also got a large "J" too rest made to give support closer to bottom and inside curve and then my 1/2" and 5/8" tools worked well again. The tool rest was a good investment, but I still find the 3/4" useful at times.

Reed, I'm not sure I'm having a problem with the Thompson bottom gouge so much as that I just don't find it necessary. It doesn't leave as nice a finish as shear scraping and it's not better-er enough at cutting compared to the regular fingernail bowl gouge to be worth disturbing my sharpening setup in most cases.

Then again, I haven't had it that long, so maybe I'll come around to it eventually. I think I'd use a lot more specialty tools if I had two grinders... hmm...

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Bouis View Post
    I think I'd use a lot more specialty tools if I had two grinders... hmm...
    Haha you said it, Bob. Therein lies the real crux of my issue, as I see it. Limited capital. Do I need a new gouge? Perhaps a J-curved tool rest? A bigger dust collector? A vacuum pump setup? Another grinder? CBN wheels? More and better buffing wheels? A bigger chainsaw and a new truck? And the list goes on ad infinitum.

I think for now I'll pick up a good J rest and maybe try to learn to use the tools I've got a little better, instead of looking to buy a new one to fix a problem that may or may not exist. Thanks for the info guys.
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Some days I can sweep through the transition a and across the bottom and leave a beautiful surface, some days not... I prefer a shear scrape on the sides, but generally don't get is as smooth across the bottom. I am using my finger on the curved tool rest to help that. Most of the time I prefer the fluteless gouge or the spindle gouges for my BOB (bottom of Bowl) tools, and not the more standard gouge shapes.

One can never have too many toys...

robo hippy