Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to sell a tool safely.

How to sell a tool safely.

Assuming that I do not keep my midi lathe, I want it to be good news and not bad for the next owner. I would really prefer it to go to someone who is experienced or being trained in lathe safety. I also want it to go to someone who is not naive about costs.

A couple of things I thought of: I live near Palomar College and could offer it to a Palomar College Woodworking student at the advice of an instructor, confirming this student has had basic training.

I could sell it through the San Diego Wood Turners, with some kind of references that the person has had some basic training.

It is not just a matter of legal liability - I don't want to hurt anyone.

Any other recommendations on how to find out if a person knows lathe operations & safety before receiving it? I would far rather give someone a super deal if they will enjoy a safe hobby, than just go on Craigslist.

Thanks
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

While your motives are laudable, I think I'd offer a spin on an old favorite and say 'let the seller beware'. At the end of the day, you still have nothing more to go on than a trusting face and well-said story. That said...based on what you wrote above, I'd think offering the unit through a turning club raises your chances as well as you could hope for. Good luck...

I believe you're overthinking this. It's like not selling a car to someone until they can prove they are a good driver.....

It is my personality to overthink everything. It's what I do. Especially when I am buying a tool or planning the steps in a project. But selling too.

If you are worried about selling it to a trained turner, I would try the turning club first. If there are no takers, I'd put it on Craigslist and just let it go. I bought my lathe used and did quite a few projects with no formal training before I found out about the local turning club. There are so many videos and websites available that the new owner should be just fine...
    Doug Swanson

Where are John Keeton and Steve Schlumpf anyway?

Brian, when you bought your first lathe, how much of a test did you have to go through to prove that the seller should sell to you? Personally, I thin k your worrying is just a bit of foolishness. If items were sold on the basis of this posting, we would all be doing nothing but taking tests to prove something. Can you imagine the line-ups that would cause, list it on craigs-list and be done with it.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    I believe you're overthinking this. It's like not selling a car to someone until they can prove they are a good driver.....
    I agree with Barry. The type of person looking to buy a lathe is probably a bit more experienced than the average guy buying a circular saw. If it makes you feel better, then throw in a basic book about woodturning. You should be well past the point of needing it.

Steve

I have a shop full of dangerous machinery. I was interested to learn how to use them but no one ever asked me if I was qualified. Frankly, I would be a little offended if someone grilled me to see if I was.
    When I sell a tool, or a car, I assume no responsibility for the buyer's safety. As Freddie Prinze used to say on Chico and the Man, "That's not my job"
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Most controversial post in the universe.

Just looking out for the next woodworker. Training is a good thing, so I am just looking in the directions that maximize the chance of a trained student or experienced adult getting the tool. No I am not going to be an idiot and "grill" them or make them take a test. There are a couple of kids who will not get a free lathe, one because he can't afford any of the accompanying tools and and another because I know he could hurt himself.

So it is my tool and my personal right to choose the path that will be the safest and most helpful for somebody else, and not just for me.
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 10-23-2016 at 11:49 PM.

in the overall scheme of things a lathe is pretty far down the list of statisticly harmful items. In just this county alone, we lose a farmer a year to an overturned tractor.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    There are a couple of kids who will not get a free lathe, one because he can't afford any of the accompanying tools and and another because I know he could hurt himself.

So it is my tool and my personal right to choose the path that will be the safest and most helpful for somebody else, and not just for me.
    Brian,
    You're right, of course. If I knew a kid well enough to feel certain that he was really gonna hurt himself, I wouldn't sell it to him. I wouldnt want his injury on my conscience. I get that part. I mean, let's face it - there are a few people who have no business around machinery.

But the second part? I bought my lathe recently from a college kid. He didnt have much money but got on youtube and made a couple tools for cheap, and enjoyed the hobby until he went away to school. So having little money actually motivated him to learn something new! (Necessity being the mother of invention.)

And he sold it to ME, who had never even turned on a lathe. I've been getting a lot of advice here and elsewhere, reading recommended books, etc. I believe Im working safely. I hope to learn enough to enjoy another facet of my woodworking hobby. .... seems like it would have been a shame to exclude me.

Just something to mull around a bit....

Best regards,
    Fred
    Last edited by Frederick Skelly; 10-24-2016 at 6:49 AM.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Brian,

You might do what I did with my first lathe. I gave it to a friend, but I also gave him lessons in turning and safety, gave him a couple of old tools, and showed him how to sharpen. If selling to a stranger, you could offer the same training, perhaps sneak it in with "you should try it out before you buy it." If he or she ovbiously has zero experience a few pointers might be appreciated. But even if not, how many of us got the first lathe having never touched one? I know I did.

Another great use for an unneeded lathe is to donate it. Someone donated a Jet mini to a children's ranch where our club is setting up a turning shop and teaching classes. This can be tax deductable!

There is also a lot to be said for keeping it as a second lathe if you can make room. I currently have a PM3520b and a Jet 1642 in my shop and another 1642 and couple of Jet minis I can pull in as needed. This allows me to have several students in at once.

But even with no students the second lathe is handy when a friend comes to play, when I need to turn a jam chuck or something, to turn a second piece to a project without removing the first, to test fit the morse tapers I turn on the ends of thin spindles without having to knock out the drive center, for cutting threads, and it could happen one day: your primary lathe may quit working! The last one happened to me a couple of years ago and it was great to have the second lathe in the shop.

JKJ

I agree with the others. Even someone with training is no guarantee of safety. Things happen even to experience wood turners. I would offer it through the turning club, but there will never be a for sure thing. I just saw a piece come out of a chuck being turned by an experienced turner. Not serious, but did hurt him.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Brian, I think your motives are good and I fully understand your concerns. But, (you knew there would be a "but" didn't you!) I do think this has to be viewed relative to all the other dangers life presents. The reality is that our vehicles are far more inherently dangerous than our lathes, yet we give no thought to selling them or trading them in with absolutely no knowledge about the driving habits of potential future owners. One could extend this to several other situations. I think the best plan is to make a "reasonable" inquiry of a buyer and provide a general warning that the buyer needs to get instruction in its use if they have no experience. I hope you will be happy with whatever choice you make.

Thanks everybody. Just one more thing. When I sell my bazookas and rocket launchers, are there any forms I need to fill out? Thanks.