Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to sell a tool safely.

Brian, you could just give it to me. I promise not to hurt myself. Problem solved.

No need to thank me.

:-)
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by paul cottingham View Post
    Brian, you could just give it to me. I promise not to hurt myself. Problem solved.
    No need to thank me.
    :-)
    Super. When will you drop by to pick it up?
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Thanks everybody. Just one more thing. When I sell my bazookas and rocket launchers, are there any forms I need to fill out? Thanks.
    You may be shocked at the answer to that question!!! And, NSA, in the event you, the FBI, CIA, State Dept, are monitoring this thread, please note and disregard the comedic response by Rev. Kent!!!

Lat(h)e to the party here, but +1 for caveat emptor.

Also, I suspect an experienced turner would likely have already started with a midi lathe and is looking to upgrade. You'd probably be limiting your audience by putting the constraint of experience on the purchaser.

What if you gave it away along with one free lesson to go with it. That way you could go over how to set it up and insure key safety issues were covered.

You might want to include a free full face shield. I bet few young men have one in their possession and while they might say they would get one, I bet they would attempt to turn before acquiring one.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Kent View Post
    Thanks everybody. Just one more thing. When I sell my bazookas and rocket launchers, are there any forms I need to fill out? Thanks.
    Yes. There are forms. But you're not allowed to sell stuff like that in Cali, anyway.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Yes. There are forms. But you're not allowed to sell stuff like that in Cali, anyway.

Not legally, but, you can still get them.

What if you gave it away along with one free lesson to go with it.
    Not to be smart or anything, but why do we think that because we learned and turned, we are now qualified to teach safe turning?

Yes it is a nice thing to do, but when I got my midi lathe, I chucked a piece of wood and hit the switch! Watched a lot of videos and just kept trying and trying.

Lots of advice (like this forum) but we make lots of decisions everyday that are a lot more dangerous to ourselves! I too (like a previous post) would be quite offended if someone questioned me when buying something, as I would have no idea on what qualification they had to do so.

Good on you for "trying to do the right thing", but don't overthink it too much...
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

I found the instructor for the Palomar College Woodworking School, who had beginner students who have had their safety training. Exactly what I was looking for. I gave him my price range, which varies widely depending on the financial situation of the student.

Brian,

If your solution doesn't work out, consider advertising it through the San Diego Wood Turner's group. Advertising is free for members. You aren't guaranteed that all buyers are going to be skilled in lathe operation, but it is more likely than selling to a person on Craigslist.

Our club gives scholarships to turning students. Our club is a 503c or so any donations are tax deductible. It would go to a good place, and you would get a tax deduction.

Food for thought.
    Michael

Even though this ended up being an unusual post, I am so happy. A young man from Palomar College Lathe II class bought the lathe. His lathe instructor told me both what a good guy he is and that he has all of the basics down pat. What a nice guy! I expect to see him at San Diego Wood Turners and on the Creek.