Thread: Sketchup question. Help!

Sketchup question. Help!

I'm using Sketchup 15.3.331 64 bit. I'm designing a walk-in closet full of cabinets. The cabinets are designed with a separate base unit so there is no "notch in the side of the cabinets for a toe kick. The 3 base units are each colored entities and are saved as components. The 2 different sized cabinets are also colored entities and saved as components. I have created a drawing of the floor plan with the base units in place. I then move the cabinet components in position over the respective base. My issue is that sometimes color shows up in the drawing in certain areas and sometimes in other areas. Very sporadic. The situation changes as I very slightly orbit the floor plan. Not sure what I'm doing wrong. Would appreciate any help you can give me.

Look for a PM from me shortly. I expect I know the answer but...

Can you post a picture? My guess is that you have coplanar surfaces of different colors overlapping. In those cases, it does randomly show one or the other - or parts of each.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bank View Post
    Can you post a picture? My guess is that you have coplanar surfaces of different colors overlapping. In those cases, it does randomly show one or the other - or parts of each.
    Thanks for the reply, Thomas. You are absolutely correct. I appreciate the help. I'll avoid that in the future when doing floor plans with components that overlap and share the same screen real estate. Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    Look for a PM from me shortly. I expect I know the answer but...
    Dave, a big thank you for your help. You are most generous with your time and knowledge. I know its been said before but I will reiterate that we are very fortunate to have you as our SU resident expert. Regards, Bob.

It is one issue with SketchUp being a “surface” modeler rather than a “solid” modeler. Your components are each basically a “shell” only and when two “shells” occupy the same space things can display a bit funky.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Michaels View Post
    Thanks for the reply, Thomas. You are absolutely correct. I appreciate the help. I'll avoid that in the future when doing floor plans with components that overlap and share the same screen real estate. Bob

Thank you Bob. It was good to talk with you yesterday.