Thread: Finishing Trial With Birdseye Maple

Finishing Trial With Birdseye Maple

Previously, I had asked a question concerning the best way to finish Birdseye Maple. Nobody responded to my post with any actual experience with Birdseye Maple and I decided I needed to do some trials. I made up some small pieces of Birdseye Maple that were sanded to 220.

The following are a couple from my trial. The first is of the sanded Birdseye Maple with no finish, then dyed with a Transtint dye, Danish Oil and Golden Oak Oil based stain.

20161020_BE Nothing M.jpg20161020_BE Transtint M.jpg20161020_Danish Natural M.jpg20161020_Golden Oak Stain M.jpg

One of the ways of finishing Curly Maple is with the Transtint dye but in this case, I though that the color was too much. I actually like the one with the Natural Danish Oil.

I am making some screwdriver handles and I finished one of them with the Natural Danish Oil.

20161023_Handle Birdseye M.jpg

It brought out he Birdseye very well. It was interesting as the piece has the Birdseye showing on opposite sides of the handle and curly maple in between.
    Last edited by Larry Frank; 10-23-2016 at 9:16 PM.

That's exactly the approach to take, Larry. Based on what my screen shows me, I agree that the natural danish oil looks best. Cheers
    Every construction obeys the laws of physics. Whether we like or understand the result is of no interest to the universe.