Thread: Cherry and curly maple dresser

Cherry and curly maple dresser

This project was a bit more advanced than my skill level but I'm getting there. I certainly learned a lot. Finished up the drawers today, just need to add some drawer stops. I'm leaning toward cherry wood knobs for the drawer pulls.

The only plywood is the back and drawer bottoms. Mortise and Tenon for the main case, floating panels and pocket screws for the drawer runners. I used my new super jig for half blind dovetails for the drawer fronts with thru dovetails in the back.

IMG_4602.JPGIMG_4599.JPGIMG_4596.JPG

This thing is heavy!

Added more pics:

IMG_4612.JPG

IMG_4605.JPG
    Adam
    Last edited by Adam Carl; 10-24-2016 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Added more pics

Beautiful. I love the top and bottom flare of the corner "posts(?)"

Excellent work. What are your plans for drawer handles/pulls? This piece seems to demand krenov style wooden pulls.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Thanks for showing it.
    Peter

Yes there is a flare. The side and front/back have the flare. I will try and get a better picture showing that. I was going to use a simple cherry knob for the pulls. Do you have a picture of the Krenov style pull you are referring too? I'm not picturing one particular style for his pulls.

Beautiful dresser, very nice work. I bet it is heavy with all those solid wood drawers. I like the two contrasting colors you used.

Blog Entries
    Very nice piece. I am looking forward to seeing it pop when the finish hits it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Very nice Adam!! I'm assuming you template routed the corner posts? I have done that in the past and really like the look. As Glenn stated I'd like to see some pics when you put a finish on it. Excellent job.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    Very nice Adam!! I'm assuming you template routed the corner posts? I have done that in the past and really like the look. As Glenn stated I'd like to see some pics when you put a finish on it. Excellent job.
    Yes, I created a template. I needed to buy a long router bit.
    Glen and Jeff, I am thinking about unwaxed shellac as a sealer coat followed by Satin lacquer.

Really fine woodworking. I like.
    You could search the FineWoodworking site and look for some knob ideas. Also the Krenov books have some really nice ideas for pulls. Somehow some metal/brass knobs would detract from the overall aesthetics of the dresser.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Very nice piece. I am looking forward to seeing it pop when the finish hits it.
    Just the shellac. Pop!

IMG_4616.jpg
    IMG_4614.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yea, that first coat of finish generally opens one's eyes! Very nice project!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm not familiar with the Krenov style of pull, but something in cherry that would reflect the curve of the corner posts would be awesome.

Cherry and Maple together makes for a classy look. Nice job.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.