Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noden Adjust-a-bench size and wheels

Noden Adjust-a-bench size and wheels

I'm about to pull the trigger on a Noden adjust-a-bench. http://www.adjustabench.com/prices_cb.asp

• Which size did you get?
    • How are you using it?
    • Wish you went bigger or smaller?
    • Did you get the caster package, and
    • Are you knocking your ankles on the casters like Jim B. was, or is Jim a klutz?

I like the caster concept, other than the trip problem some have expressed, which may in part have to do with the width of the bench, the width of the caster package,... I'll probably be moving the bench around daily the first 6 months, but could lift an end and put it on a 4 wheel furniture dolly.

This will be my only bench / assembly table for at east 9 months along with an existing MFT/3. I'll be using it in the garage while the shop gets built, to build garage storage and then start on shop cabinets.

I'm not sure what it will evolve into, but for now I need a surface to cut sheet goods on with a track saw and do some assembly,... which means height flexibility and mobility. Yes, there are cheaper solutions but I am going to give the Noden a try.

I'm leaning toward the 72"*30" full package (top, rails, casters) but without the vises. I'm guessing the top is too thick for my Festool MFT clamps...

Thanks in advance for sharing.
    Mark McFarlane

Quote Originally Posted by mark mcfarlane View Post
    • Are you knocking your ankles on the casters like Jim B. was, or is Jim a klutz?

ROFLOL!!!

Seriously, the caster system that came with mine was very nice quality, but stuck out quite a ways at the corners. I just plain found that inconvenient as I moved around a workpiece or multiple workpieces on the bench. That combined with the fact that I found I wasn't actually moving the bench made it simpler to just put nice "feet" on the setup and be done with it. In the very rare case I do shift position, I just slide it on the floor and then re-shim for level. (My shop floor has a "garage slope" unfortunately)

That all said, for your stated situation with using it in temporary space for awhile, the caster system really makes sense so I'd buy it for that reason alone, even if you decide to abandon it later when the new shop is in place. The Noden bench is really, really nicely made and despite the adjustability, is rock solid for me, including when I pull out the hand-planes.

For the size, mine is 30" wide and 60" long, I believe. The 30" is for sure actual and I'm guessing at the length. I bought my vice separately from Lee Valley if I'm recalling clearly. There are times when I wish it was longer, so if you have the space for the 72" top, that extra foot can come in handy.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

FWIW, it looks about $280 cheaper to buy the legs, casters, and rails from Noden and the top from Grizzly. I wonder if the tops are identical,... Going with Grizzly I could move up to a 2.25" top for $250 more, or 36" width for $53 more, but then after adding a thick edge and a couple vises this beast may not raise and lower very easily,

price ship Total
    leg set

60-72” rails & rods

Caster package 17,22,28.40)

Grizzly 72*30*1 3/4

Total

Noden Kit Legs, Rails and Threaded Rods, 72" x 30" x 1 3/4" , 28" Casters
    Last edited by mark mcfarlane; 10-25-2016 at 6:47 AM.
    Mark McFarlane

The top I got from Geoff is pretty thick (not sure of the actual measurment...I haven't been unhappy with it in any respect and it's darn solid. (Other than when I goofed up measuring for the dog holes and had to fill many and re-drill...but that's my problem, not the tops!)

When you are adjusting height, you're doing it at one end at a time, although moving beyond about two stops does require you do it in steps. The point of that is you'll be lifting half the weight at one time.
    --

Geoff's stock tops are all 1.75". Grizzly sells a similarly spec'd top, that from the pictures looks the same,... and offers 1.75 and 2.25 versions in wider variety of sizes (up to 10' * 3'). http://www.grizzly.com/search?q=(categoryid:360100)

I'm thinking maybe a 72"*36"* 2.25" top and ordering the 40" caster set, but I'll probably have to cut the casters legs shorter and redrill the caster holes,... hopefully my Carvex is up to the task with a new blade.
    Mark McFarlane

Sounds like a plan!
    --

I've got two of Geoff's leg sets with 28" caster spread. My main bench is 32" x 85", my other one sits between my two opposing bandsaws (tweaked to serve as outfeed for both) and that one is 30" wide. I made both tops and I have never really found that the casters bump my toes. Of course, my benches are pretty set. I never move them and have the casters turned in. Very happy with the system for many many years now.
    It is easier to be imperfect and plan for it, than to try to be perfect and swear at it.

Sam!!! Good to see you posting today!!!

I didn't realize you had two of Geoff's setups in your amazing shop. (Mark, you should take a field trip across the state and visit Sam once you're settled...totally worth it if scheduling allows)
    --

There's a pic of Sam's beautiful live edge bench on Geoff's website.

Sam, I read your article on your bench top build a few months ago. Not something I want to spend the time on right now, I am just bootstrapping a shop, starting with this bench.

I talked to Geoff on the phone last night for about a half hour. Fun guy. He said he would cut some custom width caster rails and custom length rails for a small fee, but I'm thinking I might build the rails myself out of scrap for now (maybe dimensional lumber or laminated ply) since eventually I'll probably have some drawers in the base. Anyone know what diameter threaded rod is on the base? Lowes seems to stock 120" * 0.375" rod at my local store.

Geoff also suggested that probably everyone in NA gets their maple tops from the same builder.

I just need to decide on length and width and pull the trigger. This may end up as workbench, it may end up an assembly table, or maybe I'll buy a second one, it's hard to say at this time.

If I go 30" wide and eventually wrap with an apron after my new shop is running (~6 months) I'll end up with ~36 which Geoff thought would be best with a custom 32" caster rail. That means I'll have the casters sticking out 2" for about 6 months until my new shop is built. Maybe I'll buy a 36" top and rip a little off when/if I build the apron.

I'm thinking 6' * 3' * 1.75" for the Grizzly top then I can rip a little off with my tracksaw when I 'apron' it. I hope I don't regret not going for 2.25" thick, but after adding aprons and vises this thing is going to get heavy.
    Mark McFarlane

Mark, I have a Noden Adjust-a-banch with the 28'' wide leg kit. My top is 34 1/2'' wide and 73'' long and have never found the leg kit to be a problem with hitting them with my feet. I love the bench and would buy again. Not sure how high your apron is going to be but remember to not make it to large for clamping things to the edge of the bench.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Mark, if you get up this way, you should also visit Geoff in his shop. Not only is his bench design great (among other inventions), but he's a highly skilled maker and does incredible work in wood.
    --

Anyone with the single rail design care to chime in about stability? I'm currently mostly a power tool guy, and the idea of scooting a bar chair under the bench for drawing and other work (lunch) is attractive. From what I read in searches the single rail design is pretty stable. Considering I'm coming from a wobbly MFT, anything would be better.
    Mark McFarlane

Cool. Threaded rod I used was 3/8". I think the 28" caster rail is plenty. My bench is rock solid. It wouldn't matter if the top was another 4" wide or so. Getting a 36" top makes sense, too. Won't cost much more and you'll be able to use the left over at some point.
    s
    It is easier to be imperfect and plan for it, than to try to be perfect and swear at it.

Geoff also suggested that probably everyone in NA gets their maple tops from the same builder.
    I made my own top out of maple and black walnut at 2-1/4'' thick
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 10-26-2016 at 8:33 PM. Reason: Fixed quote tagging
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Mine has the double rail which I topped with a piece of MDF for a shelf which is convenient to hold certain things close at hand.
    --