Thread: Best clear UV resistant varnish/finish?

Best clear UV resistant varnish/finish?

I'm refinishing some south facing Pella window & mutton frames that I installed 20 years ago. I finished them at the time with a marine spar varnish. Is there something that would stand up better to the high UV we have here in New Mexico?
    These windows have needed refinishing for about 5 years..
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Interthane 990 clear if it is available. It's a global product from International Protective Coatings so you might be lucky. It's a 2 pack polyurethane suitable for heavy industrial and marine work.

I know it holds up well here in Australia where it's about as harsh as you can get. I did a job once where 990 was specified and another contractor on the same site used another brand that faded in 2 years. I actually copped abuse for making the other guy look bad - no thanks for doing it right! Cheers

Thanks for the tip Wayne. I looked into it but it doesn't look like it is readily available in small quantities. I think I'm going to go with Epifanes Clear Varnish. From what I can find, the reviews on it are pretty good.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Look at SW A100 acrylic base (without added pigment) before using Epifanes on an interior application. It's not clear in the can, but dries clear. Epifanes is made for exterior applicatons and requires 7 coats.

John

Have you looked at General 450 ext.Its pretty easy to use it builds very fast.
    No sure how well it would stand up to Full sun in NM that's just brutal.
    But I beat it's easy to refinish.
    I used it on a Outdoor table that gets only partial sun.I have not heard any complaints yet.

Aj
    Aj

Bruce, a pity about 990 but it was worth a try. With your selection, focus on uv stability. This is the expensive bit unfortunately. It will be the difference between the cheaper products and the dear ones. Manufacturers that produce heavy industrial coatings are the best bet. From memory, Ameron/PPG, Sherwin Williams come to mind. sorry, it's a while since I had to work with the US paint market. Cheers

I agree with Wayne totally. Professional boat builders always use the expensive 2 part urethanes for a reason. Find the most expensive, and you likely have found the best, because the UV blockers and HALS additives are the most pricey part of the formula. I currently have used Bristol 2K, but I imagine there are others like Five Year Clear. Been out of the loop for while, but I remember that Awlgrip has a two part too. Go to any marine supplier for it. Expect to spend.
    john.blazy_dichrolam_llc
    Delta Unisaw, Rabbit QX-80-1290 80W Laser, 5 x 12 ft laminating ovens, Powermax 22/44, Accuspray guns, Covington diamond lap and the usual assortment of cool toys / tools.