Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bench top drill press

Mid - Michigan - 25 miles east of Lansing

Bench top drill press

Anybody got a recommendation on a decent bench top drill press? My current is a Delta dp350. It's a variable speed (Reeves drive ). Served me well but took a dump today and I'm not hopeful. I need something with good quill travel and moderate power.

No recommendations for a bench top unit, but I have a Delta 18-900L 18-Inch Laser Drill Press floor model I am going to be selling. It has light uses and is only about 2 years old. I am in Mid Mi. PM me if you are interested

Richard
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I know this may sound crazy but it is based on the fact manufacturers have somewhat forsaken the woodworking drill press and the bench top drill press in particular. The Harbor Freight 13" 16 speed bench top press is actually a pretty decent wood drill press and available with a 20% off coupon just over $200. I know heresy but it is what it is.

That said good used "old iron" benchtop drill presses are usually avaiable fairly easily and would think Lansing would be a good place to look for them.
    Of all the laws Brandolini's may be the most universally true.

Deep thought for the day:

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Blog Entries
    I have a 20 year old 12" Delta drill press that's going strong. I've never needed more drill press. It is a solid machine. It is a solid machine.

Look at the post, does it look like tail pipe or steel pipe. Is the base solid or is it flimsy.

You can take a floor model,and slide the head and table down....make it as short as you need.Wouldn't do it on anything vintage but,cut the column off.

Blog Entries
    Automotive tail pipes make good drill press columns if you need a replacement.

Too bad about the Delta; repairing a Reeves drive can be a pain.

If you ignore the plastic dodads (chuck guard, safety switch, etc), this Grizzly:
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-S...campaign=zPage
    is a generic import design that's been imported in vast numbers over the last 30 years or so. It's probably similar to the HF model Van references. I got one about 28 years ago, a "Foremost" brand, that has been in almost daily use since I got it. About three years ago I finally got around to putting new bearings in it which quieted it down considerably, and for woodworking, it's been just fine. I just looked on the Seattle CL and there were well over a dozen of various different makes of both bench and floor models. You could get a floor model and cut the column down.
    Last edited by Dave Cav; 10-25-2016 at 1:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Cav View Post
    If you ignore the plastic dodads (chuck guard, safety switch, etc), this Grizzly:
    http://www.grizzly.com/products/12-S...campaign=zPage
    is a generic import design that's been imported in vast numbers over the last 30 years or so. It's probably similar to the HF model Van references. I got one about 28 years ago, a "Foremost" brand, that has been in almost daily use since I got it. About three years ago I finally got around to putting new bearings in it which quieted it down considerably, and for woodworking, it's been just fine.
    In all likelyhood the Grizzly is a better DP than the HF one I mentioned, the HF one is just $225 with a coupon so it is in a different price strata. The HF one is considered one of their "gems" and the only reason I mentioned it.

Your bandsaw weighs more when you leave the spring compressed instead of relieving the tension.

Hmmm,,,,,
    I've been looking to replace my Delta Bench top for awhile now, and I like the lower RPM spec's of that Griz', and HF model. Like Lowell, I've probably had mine for 20 years, or so also, but it doesn't have a low enough RPM for me.
    HF is on the way home from work, so I may have to get a look at that unit.
    Thanks guys.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 10-25-2016 at 5:26 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Hmmm,,,,,
    I've been looking to replace my Delta Bench top for awhile now, and I like the lower RPM spec's of that Griz', and HF model. Like Lowell, I've probably had mine for 20 years, or so also, but it doesn't have a low enough RPM for me.
    HF is on the way home from work, so I may have to get a look at that unit.
    Thanks guys.
    Just looking at the specs the Grizzly has a lower speed (useful for large forstner bits) another inch of swing and weighs about 25% more so it is likely a better DP but with freight it about $200 more than the HF. Of note what appears to be the same 13" DP head (from what I have seen in the store) is avaiable at HF in the floor stander for $10 less. I've walked past the Grizzly DP more than a dozen times in the showroom but never given it more than a glance.

Not knowing whether you have a good or "cheap" Delta benchtop I will say if you have a good vintage one (I don;t know if it was new or new to you 20 years ago) if it is otherwise a good/great DP you could always pick up a 3 phase motor cheap and add a VFD. It might run you a couple of hundred as well but you could end up with a better DP, if it was a cheapie at the time it might be throwing good money after bad.

A friend just bought one of these and it is a very nice drill press:

http://www.harborfreight.com/13-in-1...ess-61483.html

They sell the same press in a benchtop model. However, the current price is $10 more, go figure.

Robert

Here's an article reviewing various bench top drill presses. http://content.wiltontool.com/review...5_fww_0707.pdf
    I've got a barely used Jet bench top for sale and am not that far from you.

Quote Originally Posted by James Biddle View Post
    Here's an article reviewing various bench top drill presses. http://content.wiltontool.com/review...5_fww_0707.pdf
    I've got a barely used Jet bench top for sale and am not that far from you.
    Is your Jet DP the same one shown in the review you provided?
    Mac

Bench top DP wipes out an area on the bench, (for working).
    Floor space, always a premium, but the stands on these cheap presses are <12 x 20. Not a lot of wasted space, and a lot more choices with a free standing press.

Some time ago I needed a drill press right then -"no shriving time allowed." I got a "benchtop" unit by King Industrial (http://www.kingcanada.com/Products.htm?CD=35&ID=110 ) (on sale, and in stock!) which has turned out well except for one thing: the handle for setting the stop is plastic, and it broke the first time I put any force on it. On the plus side: low cost, but broadly comparable to the grizzly. On the neg: really not a benchtop: 120 pounds, 42" high.